Paint cracks on hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-1999, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Paint cracks on hood

I just put another coat of wax on the hood of my truck today, it looked beautiful until I noticed something that made my heart break. There was a scrathlike mark on the hood but it was in the shape of a T, it felt like a scratch, upon further observation I found more like it, about 6 to be exact all different sizes. I am really upset, first the door crack now this, the truck is not even a year old, does anyone have a similar problem? I didn't even look at the roof yet.

------------------
Gino Tedesco, '99 XLT 5.4l, SUPERCHIPPED, 3" Gibson catback exhaust,4x4 S/C Flareside D.wedge bl/Dk.graph, factory sidesteps & Tonneau cover, Manik grlgaurd w/Piaa lights, 305/70-16 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires

Old 09-20-1999, 03:38 PM
Yea, I have the same exact problem. Kinda like scratches/cracks in the paint. The only explanation that I've received is that it's acid rain damage....humm.

Blake

Old 09-20-1999, 06:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

If your truck(s) are under warranty..take them in and get them fixed! My 1998 F-150 s/c has the cracks in the gutter well on the roof..and this is pathetic for new trucks to have these kind of problems! This is the only complaint I have about the F-150s..and I seriously doubt acid rain is to blame for this.
I decided to trade my truck in for a newer 2000 (not that the problem will not happen again) and let the dealership worry about the cracks.
Good luck in getting this fixed!!!

Old 10-05-1999, 06:15 PM
I have a 1998 black F150 and the paint is cracking on the hood, roof (gutters too), both front fenders, both doors, cab and tailgate. Basically, it’s cracking everywhere but the bed. I still have my warranty but my local Ford dealer had the nerve to tell me I should take it back to the selling dealer. This is not an option because they are 6 hours from where I live! Ford doesn’t seem to want to touch this truck and I am not going to rest until they do. My thinking is that if the paint is bad on one area of the truck, it’s bad on the entire truck and I want them to repaint the entire truck and not just the “affected areas.” I am in the process of writing a letter to all the Ford dealers that I have contacted, the President of Ford and the Resident Agent. The customer service department tried to tell me it’s due to acid rain. I had to laugh because I live in Nevada and we don’t get rain! I suggest that if you all have this problem, you need to persist with your local dealers!!! Someone at Ford needs to do something about this.

Old 10-05-1999, 08:04 PM
Ford's official policy is that if you do not live within a 50 mile radious of the selling dealer to take it to the closest one to you. Hit them with that tidbit of information or call 1-800-392-FORD and ask them. The dealership should shape-up after that.

Old 10-05-1999, 09:42 PM
I read some of these clips and some of you are stating that you have actually had the cracks repainted and that they still cracked again. Does anyone have any idea if it is in fact the paint, or does it have something to do with the vibrations on the vehicle? What is Ford saying this is from? For me, it can't be acid rain. Also, the cracks don't appear on the bed of the truck (yet). Is it the body style? I am curious because I can only imagine what my truck will look like in a few years.

Old 10-05-1999, 10:56 PM
vnaenaev,
Sorry to hear about your bad paint! I also have a black, 98 supercab F-150 and only have the cracks in the roof water channels. Your local dealer MUST honor warranty work..they just don't want to service you because you did not buy from them..my local dealer here in Columbus Georgia tried to sell me the same line to get me to buy from them! They told me, not once, but TWICE..that if I did not buy from them..then they could not work on my vehicle under warranty. So I said heck with them (I knew they were full of it) and bought my 98 and the new 2000 in Macon..just over an hour away. My local dealer lost 2 sales from me alone.....

GOOD LUCK! GIVE THEM HELL AND GET IT FIXED UNDER WARRANTY!

-------------------------------------
18 days until my 2000 F-150 supercab, XLT, 5.4L, towing package, HD cooling, CD, overhead console baby arrives!

[This message has been edited by Dustoff (edited 10-05-1999).]

Trending Topics

Old 10-06-1999, 05:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It doesn't matter where you bought your ford from all ford dealerships are supose to work on it no matter where you bought it so keep on them until they work on it and good luck to you.

Old 10-06-1999, 06:25 PM
Dustoff,

What color did you get?

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The occasional Z-71 Eater! Wedgewood & Denim, SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK, Rhino Liner, Mobil 1. Man, I got it all! (New Jersey)

Old 10-07-1999, 05:59 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies! I have to tell you the latest. I spoke with my dealer in Utah and they are willing to paint my whole truck (but of course I don't want to make the trip). So I went into another Ford dealer here and explained to the body man my situation and that I wanted my whole truck painted. He agreed with me and also said that because the damage was so large, my entire truck definetely needed to be repainted! I am so happy! I am waiting until after my truck is finished (to my satisfaction) and then I am sending out my three page letter to every Ford entity that I have been in contact with. I will be attaching some of these messages to enforce the fact that it's a nationwide problem. I feel that Ford should recall the 97 and 98's due to their defective paint and I'm not resting until Ford does something!

I'm sure I don't even need to tell you to keep a close eye on your vehicles!

Old 10-11-1999, 05:51 PM
I finally got a call back from Ford and they have agreed to paint my entire truck. They said they’d be stripping it all the way down to the metal and will have it for approximately 3 weeks. Funny, the manager of the body shop said that a memo was circulated around Ford regarding the cracking paint on some vehicles and how it was a problem. (Maybe they'll recall....)

Old 10-11-1999, 11:08 PM
Dunbarton
I bought the same color as my 98...Black with a silver bottom.

Old 10-12-1999, 03:42 PM
I have a 1998 with the dark toredor red paint. I have several spots on my hood which look like a bunch of tiny cracks clustered together. I have been keeping a good coat of wax on those spots. I don't know if I want new paint... repainted vehicles are never as good as the original paint. Bummer.

--Steve

------------------
1998 F-150 Super Cab XLT, 4x4, SWB, StyleSide, 5.4L, E40D Automatic, Dark Toreador Red, Med Graphite Cloth Captain's Chairs, P255/70R-16 OWL AT Tires, 3.55 LS Axle, Cab Steps, Tow Pkg, Power Color-Keyed Mirrors, Fog Lights, Cast Aluminum Wheels, 6-Disc CD Changer. Aftermarket: Pendaliner SR, Keyless Entry, Delta Deep Aluminum Toolbox, Gibson Swept Side Stainless Steel, Airaid FIPK, Custom CB and Amateur Radio Installation. See me and my truck at http://bluecrab.richmond.edu/crab-1.htm

Old 10-21-1999, 03:10 PM
Exclamation

Have seen cracks(crows feet) in roof gutter for a while, but really checked over my Black '97F150XLT after my buddy(Body Shop owner) noticed same thing on his Black '99 XLT- he actually had a couple of chips out of his roof besides the cracked places- He called the dealer's body shop and they said it is a common problem because the clearcoat that Ford is using is failing. They are going to repaint his whole truck since he has some places on his hood also.

Probably caused by bird crap, but a paint problem for sure. I now see a dozen spots on my roof besides the gutters. Mine is 3 1/2 yrs old but I am going to pursue thru Ford.

Old 10-22-1999, 08:47 PM
My 98 F-150 XLT Supercab had the cracks in the gutters and one small "cluster" crack on the roof. Other than that, the paint was fine on the rest of the truck..even after sitting in the HOT Georgia sun all summer.

Picked up my new 2000 last night (same color) and I sure hope I don't have the same problems!! I agree..I would not want to be forced to get it repainted. The 2000 sure rides better than the 98 and stops MUCH better.

--------------------------------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55, towing package, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, bedliner, K&N air filter, cabin filtration system

Quick Reply: Paint cracks on hood