ssm for door crack

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-1999, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ssm for door crack

I have seen a few different SSM numbers for this door crack situation. 12071 and 13203 are just 2 that I wrote down. My dealership says those numbers dont exist, and that they are made up. They offered to repair my door for me but according to the supposed SSM# that I listed above they are supposed to replace my door and add an additional bracket. I would rather not do this twice. Someone let me know if they know the correct ssm# I can give them and make them look it up.

------------------
1998 F150 XLT extra-cab
4.6 with off-road package

Old 10-27-1999, 09:20 PM
Question

Kmmon1/anyone,
What exactly is a SSM number and how can I find a detailed description for a SSM ?
I noticed a SSM number on my last dealer invoice, after they completed some warranty work on my truck. SSM#11572 ?????
Thanks

Old 10-28-1999, 04:32 PM
Exclamation

A SSM is a special service message, The one I have that I got from my dealer is 13238. It is listed under 111000 Body Panel. It reads as follows. 1997-1999 F-series LDSOME 1997-1999 F-150/250OLD Vehicals may exhibit cracks in the lower rear of the window opening near the belt molding. Engineering is investigating this concern. To address critical customers concerns of immediate repair, the recommended actions is to replace the door assembly. A new service procedure will be available to address this concern. This new procedure will utilize a reinforcemnt plate and structual adheseive that will avoid major disassembly of the door. This will be updated when the procedure is finalized. I hope this helps you ROATX

------------------
98F-150 XL SC 4x2 4.2 5sp Dk Toreador red 3.55 Bug shield,running boards,rain shields,Superchip

Old 10-29-1999, 07:10 PM
13238 is the Special Service Message number. I just spoke to the Tech Hotline yesterday, don't expect the support any time soon. One tech had told me end of the month. Forget it, they have been working on this in durability testing for 2 1/2 years so far and have not been able to come up with a fix. Just go get the door panel replaced. I'm a little discouraged since the new panel will also crack!! But, it's all we can do so far. My truck is going in early next month for a new panel.

------------------
1997 F-150, 4.6, automatic, Dark Toreador Red, Supercab, Flareside, 4X4 Off-Road, Towing Package, Chrome Grizzly Wrap Around Push Bar, Ford bedliner, and Lots of TLC!! (Besides being an F-150 nut, I am a Ford auto technician.)

Old 10-31-1999, 01:36 AM
I have a hard copy of the SSM 12071 that calls for replacment of the door. If you want me to fax it to you let me know. Then you will have your proof that it exists. Tell the dealer to stick it up their A@$ and make them replace the entire door.

Old 10-31-1999, 06:11 PM
If you can fax me a copy of the SSM that would be helpful because my dealer is saying it does not exist. fax me at 201-265-0254
thanks

------------------
1998 F150 XLT extra-cab
4.6 with off-road package
white,tint,rhino-lining

Old 11-05-1999, 11:17 AM
Cool

Thanks to all you F150online posters, particularly Sycoholic!!!!!

Went to my Ford dealership this morning armed with all the great info I've gotten here. First, the Body shop manager wanted me to leave the vehicle, so they could "check it out", but I persisted that I wanted to get the ball rolling right away. So off he went to check with Ford....came back with some printouts, including SSM 13238. Told me that they would replace the door skins (both doors....I have about a half inch crack on the driver's side, and a quarter inch on the passenger side). He even said they would give me a loaner for the time the truck would be in the shop!!!! Will let you all know how it goes after the doors come in.

By the way, I get a "good" flex on the doors below where the cracks are when I open the power windows!!!!

Thanks again!!!!!

1997 F250 XLT, LD, Supercab, short bed, 5.4 L, 29000 miles.

Quick Reply: ssm for door crack