Door Crack Solution

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-1999, 03:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Door Crack Solution

Hi there, My body man and I discovered the problem with the mysterious cracking door problem. We discovered that the window tracking inside of the door is misaligned causing the door to heave just as the top of the window meets the top of the window frame. If you look closely at the bottom edge of the window frame you should see this. I have electric windows and I hav not seen this problem on manual windows (I hav'nt really looked either)Our solution was to reinforce this section of the frame. We built up the frame and repaired the crack and repainted. This crack occurred on both doors at approximately 50000kms and I just rolled over 100000kms with no reoccurance so far. Warranty covered the work! Hope this helps.

Old 07-10-1999, 08:07 AM
ssimmons,

I assume you meanthat the door heaves just as it seals at the top when the window is raised. I have developed a similar theory with the used ones I have driven. It seems that the ones that have the worst craks have noisy power windows (popping and creaking when raised and lowered). My 98 made all kind of noises and no amount of lubrication helped. It seemed like some kind of a stress noise on the window regulator or the door frame itself. The used 97's I have seen with no cracks made no noise. I think the problems are connected. I am keeping a close eye on my 99 for noise and cracks.

Also, all of my landlord buddies have 97's 98's & 99's most of them Lariat Flaresides. We all bought our trucks within a year (about twelve off us). I have pointed the cracks out to a few of them the other night so they have all (about 6 of the twelve have cracks) have gone to the dealer raising hell about the cracks. Four of the guys ordered their trucks at the same time so Ford kisses their butts. We'll see what happens but I guarantee you something will being that these guys are some of the wealthiest in the county. It looks like I have started a door crack revolution in Bradenton, Florida. By the way, these guys have been updated with all of the information on the doors cracks and other concerns they have; gas mileage,etc. They are appreciative of f150online. I will keep you updated.

------------------
'99 XLT S/C 4.6 Auto White, A.R.E. Hard tonneau, ventvisors and bug guard all painted to match, Kenwood 6 Disc, Westin nerfs, Buccaneers front license plate!

Old 07-11-1999, 02:45 AM
Wow, this door crack thread is a hot one, but that's not a good thing. Obviously a lot of people have this problem, and I think this thread is "hot" because people are concerned. I know I am, I just checked and I'm clean, but my truck is only 3 weeks and 1000 miles old. But I have a recommendation. I know it took a lot of reading in the other thread before I found enough of a description to know where to look, and I'm still not 100% positive. What would be nice is if someone out there with a cracked door and a digital camera could snap a pic and some how get it online. I'd do it myself, but like I say I don't have the crack. Now I realize that crack is probably too small to photograph, but the photo could be digitally altered with a red line or something that way other people would have a better idea of where to look. Just an idea.

------------------
1999 Lariat SuperCab Flareside, Amazon green with Silver trim, 5.4L, 4x2, 4 wheel disc/ABS, 3.55 limited slip, towing package, sliding rear window, captains chairs, keyless entry with alarm, spray-on bed liner, and K&N. http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~bfriesen/truck.html

Old 07-11-1999, 05:14 AM
Freezer:

Take your camera and hop over to the nearest collection of used 150's. You will not have any problem finding photo ops.

------------------
Ben Mc.----'99 XLT 5.4 SC SB ORP Dk. Red/Dk. Grey----Fact. Cab Steps/Tonneau/Slider----Straight Duals, Superchip, Airaid/KN (non-sag), Ungo Autostart/Keyless Remote, Prime Designs Air/Bug Deflector, Weathertech Wind/Rain Deflecters----PPI 4240 Amp,McIntosh 6x9's w/crossovers front, Polk DB 5.25's rear---Tuessssdayyyy Affffternoooooon----gotta love it!

Old 07-11-1999, 05:04 PM
ssimmons, That is what I've been saying all along: That door needs to be renforced, not just welded, bondoed and painted. Please post where your dealer is located, so that If I have any trouble with my dealer, I can have them contact your bodyman. I was gonna sugest that ford "buy" me out of this door, so that I could have body shop of my choice fix this door right. I wanted to do some custom paint, but cannot until this thing is fixed.

Old 07-12-1999, 02:20 PM
Andthensometoo, My dealer Jerry Ford Sales is located in Edson, Alberta Canada. The bodyshop that did the warranty work is Top Choice Autobody, contact Ray Busey. http://www.albertadirectory.com/edson/topcho/
I,m sorry to say that after I posted the last message I took a closer look at the drivers side door and the crack has started to redevelope, it's about 2mm so far, barely noticable but there non the less. Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Door Crack Solution