97' XLT extended cab - dent/crease repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97' XLT extended cab - dent/crease repair

My truck is in rough shape as of late, so I wasn't initially going to spend a bunch of cash on it until I could get it into a better working order. I loaned the truck to family who left it under a garage in a box with structural issues, told them not to leave it there during winter and they did. So the garage in a box collapsed and broke rain guards I had on the driver side as well as bent the hell out of the cab over the driver side door and driver side back seat (extended cab). On top of that, the dreaded clear coat peel started a few years ago. Long story short, I'm getting in mechanically sound and then am thinking of stripping it, filling in and shaping, and then painting it myself as a personal resto.

Has anyone done this with great success?

I got the idea that I should be able to do this by watching this video awhile back. Granted, I expect this to be a hell of a lot of work, time and probably even money. The truck isn't my daily driver anymore, although I took it back out of retirement to drive during the summer because I just love cruising around, it sounds amazing and I often and complemented on the sound and used to be about the looks as well.

I've also got a lot of history with this truck. My family moved up to Alaska in the truck back in 99' hauling a camper from Florida. It was my first vehicle as a graduation present. I learned everything about driving in this truck, drove many winter in this 2wd with sand bags in the back. I went out hunting and got my first moose in this truck. I pulled the materials for the house I built 2 years ago when my 04 F-150 failed on me.

Needless to say I'm a bit attached to the ole' girl and am determined to restore it. You can see a single pic in my signature.

Last edited by Haemon; 05-29-2018 at 06:32 PM. Reason: adding text.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I had my '07 practically redone because of rust and dents too. I had a local shop do it for a very reasonable rate.

Although, you can try yourself. If you mess it up, then just have someone do it.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:53 AM
Yeah the cost for body/paint work here is insane. I even do work for a body shop here as their I.T. support, it would easily cost me 6-8 grand if they did it. Just not in the cards.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:32 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
That's crazy. I had my truck redone with a PTM bedliner for $2k cash. The paint job is better than factory. The guy who did it used to repaint buses and commercial fleet for another company.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:54 AM
Yeah, I hate living in this state when it comes to certain services, we really get hosed. Dental/Medical is 3-4 times the cost. It's literally worth flying to Seattle, staying in a hotel and getting dental work there before you get it done here. So beyond stupid.

I wonder if anyone reputable runs a small side shop that could do it for near 2k... I'd consider letting someone do it if that were the cost out the door, especially with a bed liner!

I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible as it's not a daily driver.

Quick Reply: 97' XLT extended cab - dent/crease repair