2016 with rough paint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 with rough paint?

My first brand new truck and boy do I like it!

Anyways, I do have a concern that I wanted some outside thoughts on. I have washed my truck a few times now (~1500 miles on it, had it for about 3 weeks) and when I towel dry after washing, the body panels feel rough and not 100% smooth. Each time I get scared thinking my towel is covered in sand.

Well, I washed again today, had the same scare and looked a bit closer; on the hood I can actually see little bubbles. I was wondering if it is the metallic paint or maybe I have something went wrong with the paint job. It almost feels like dust in the clear coat. My White Platinum Metallic was 100% smooth. I checked a few spots but overall this condition seems to be found all over.

Any thoughts? (My truck a 2016 Supercrew, magnetic metallic.)

Old 03-31-2016, 01:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe take it to your dealer and let them see the bubbles on the hood, and elsewhere. if nothing else, it will be documented for future reference.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:11 PM
Pick up a clay bay from your local auto/hardware type shop along with a quick detailer spray product and try cleaning a spot somewhere on the roof. Do a before and after comparison; you can also put your hand inside a Ziploc bag and run it over the surface to feel for contaminants. This way you can determine if it's environmental or a paint issue.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Wyseilmykkar_09
Pick up a clay bay from your local auto/hardware type shop along with a quick detailer spray product and try cleaning a spot somewhere on the roof. Do a before and after comparison; you can also put your hand inside a Ziploc bag and run it over the surface to feel for contaminants. This way you can determine if it's environmental or a paint issue.
So are you thinking rail dust? How small the flecks are, I am thinking this is exactly the issue. If so, are the trucks not covered in transit? What will Ford say if it is rail dust?

Old 03-31-2016, 09:08 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Maybe try one of these, it looks to be easier to use than a clay bar and just as good:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ca...b-sponges.html

I wouldn't let the minimum wage "detailer" at the dealership touch it.

Old 04-02-2016, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by MNBlizzard
So are you thinking rail dust? How small the flecks are, I am thinking this is exactly the issue. If so, are the trucks not covered in transit? What will Ford say if it is rail dust?
Rail dust is one possibility, the other is just the general "crap" that exists in our environment and winds up on the painted surfaces of our trucks (industrial fallout, etc.) Vehicles are not covered during transit. The dealer won't do anything for rail dust because it's beyond their control. A really good dealer might offer a free or discounted "detail" to your truck which I would pass on - they will likely inflict more damage than they correct.

My 2014 for example, is white. Twice a year I have to do a paint decontamination to eliminate the small orange/brown rust spots caused by metallic particles embedding themselves in the surface of the truck. It happens on all vehicles, unfortunately for me white shows it more so than other colours. it's unavoidable, you just have to be be aware and take steps with the proper products to correct it.

Quick Reply: 2016 with rough paint?