Anyone use NanoSkin Auto Scrub Sponges?

Old 03-27-2016, 11:27 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Anyone use NanoSkin Auto Scrub Sponges?

I have always used clay and have had good luck with it, but it gets expensive when doing a few vehicles. 20 to 25 bucks is a bit steep to buy then end up having to throw it away. I'm about to start my truck's Yearly full correction and ordered the Fine and medium Sponges.

Just wanted to see what most thought of them compared to the traditional claybar

Also thinking about trying out the Megs 101 instead of the Trusty 105. Does anyone know if any retailers carry it in town? Like Advanced, Oreilly's, Harbor freight etc??

Old 03-28-2016, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Coy,

I just picked up a Nanoskin wash mitt and am pretty happy with it. I went with the mitt as it had more surface area for the money. I used it with ONR @ QD ratio and cleaned it using my grit guard in the wash bucket. I didn't use it as a wash mitt, just for "claying". I would say it cut down the clay time by a little better than half. I was pretty happy with the result and speed it worked. I haven't corrected my paint yet this spring, so I can't say how much marring is really introduced, if any. My paint is in fair shape and for what it's worth, I didn't notice any marring. Overall, very happy with it and will be doing the Edge with it soon.

As for the M101, I doubt local shops are carrying it. It has a premium price and even though it's now well known in the detailing world, it's not broadly known like M105. Heck, I picked up M105/M205 at Harbor Freight in IL. I really like M101, it works well on Ford paint with a white or orange LC pad, depending on the correction needed. No dusting like M105. I hear M100 is pretty good too, but haven't picked it up yet. I believe it is meant for MF pads and I have a few to test it with.

One thing I do that works well to get rid of the M105 dusting issue (if you want to use it up), is to cut it with Ultimate Compound. If you mix it 1 part UC to 3 parts M105, it cuts the same, has a longer working time and best of all, doesn't dust!

Good luck and post up the results!!!

Old 03-29-2016, 03:04 AM
I have also looked around for the 101 without any luck. One of the dads from our Scout troop works for Megs so I just ordered it through him. Haven't had a chance to use it yet. Plus they are pretty proud of the stuff price wise.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:15 AM
I have been using the Nanoskin autoscruber on my DA (fine grade) for a couple of years now and love it. Love the time it saves. I have used it on detail jobs too. Need to pick up a medium grade just to have on hand. I do have a sponge, but haven't used it yet. I am thinking of picking up a washmit this spring.

Not sure about M101 specifically, but Auto zone here in my town had carried a large selection of the Megs Mirror Glaze line at one point if you have one of those.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never used their sponges but I have been using their NanoSkin wash mitt (fine grade) for a couple years now. I've used it with ONR as a lube and I've used it after a wash with soapy water. Either was I was very happy with the results and it's way faster and easier than the old fashion clay bar. I'll never use a clay bar again

Old 03-29-2016, 09:13 AM

Here's the one I use:

Name:  598BE5CD-B9F3-416F-9FEE-842FFCB0B8BD_zpsogd1bbdo.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  378.9 KB

Sorry the pic is so HUGE!

Old 03-29-2016, 09:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Merlin uses these.

Jim

Old 03-29-2016, 11:55 AM
If you liked M105, but hated the dusting and clogging, you'll love M101. I actually tossed a half bottle of M105 after trying the M101. It corrects like no tomorrow and leaves an almost LSP ready finish. For best results, follow it up with M205 or something similar on a softer pad. Although the M101 is expensive, I really think it's worth every penny.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:31 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

I wanted to get the wash mitt but wanted to make sure i liked it before spending the money. I think if i like the sponge i will be going with the pad's that go on the D/A.. I bet that would cut alot of time off. Seems like this has been out a long time and i just found it a couple months ago!

I bought my M105 4 years ago and used it on our old Taurus and had problems with it, never touched it again until a couple weeks ago on our Mercedes M Class. It did ok but i was using a Lake Country Orange pad and it didn't seem to want to spread and of course it dusted up quick. Had to use alot of product to get it going but came out nice.

I'm Thinking about trying the White Lake Country Pad with M105 on the truck and see if it does any better.

I always top 105 with 205 then go on to sealant then wax.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy

I wanted to get the wash mitt but wanted to make sure i liked it before spending the money. I think if i like the sponge i will be going with the pad's that go on the D/A.. I bet that would cut alot of time off. Seems like this has been out a long time and i just found it a couple months ago!

I bought my M105 4 years ago and used it on our old Taurus and had problems with it, never touched it again until a couple weeks ago on our Mercedes M Class. It did ok but i was using a Lake Country Orange pad and it didn't seem to want to spread and of course it dusted up quick. Had to use alot of product to get it going but came out nice.

I'm Thinking about trying the White Lake Country Pad with M105 on the truck and see if it does any better.

I always top 105 with 205 then go on to sealant then wax.
Based on the age and looks of your truck, don't even bother using M101 on it. You don't need it - yet. I only use it for serious correction work (usually with an LC Orange pad on the Flex) and it works great. You do have to follow up with something less aggressive - like M205 on a White LC pad - to get a really nice finish though. Then of course you need to apply an LSP.

The big difference between M105 and M101 in identical conditions is both less dust and less clumping on the surface. Basically, the M101 is a dream to work with if you're doing serious correction work. If you're not doing serious correction work, leave it on the shelf.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Based on the age and looks of your truck, don't even bother using M101 on it. You don't need it - yet. I only use it for serious correction work (usually with an LC Orange pad on the Flex) and it works great. You do have to follow up with something less aggressive - like M205 on a White LC pad - to get a really nice finish though. Then of course you need to apply an LSP.

The big difference between M105 and M101 in identical conditions is both less dust and less clumping on the surface. Basically, the M101 is a dream to work with if you're doing serious correction work. If you're not doing serious correction work, leave it on the shelf.
Last April I had by bumpers and other stuff painted and the idiot got over spray all over my hood. Clay has taken parts off but it would take forever to get it all off. Hoping this medium grade sponge is the answer. If it does Marr the paint I will use 105. Otherwise I think I'd be ok with 205 on the rest of the truck.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:55 AM
Last April I had by bumpers and other stuff painted and the idiot got over spray all over my hood. Clay has taken parts off but it would take forever to get it all off. Hoping this medium grade sponge is the answer. If it does Marr the paint I will use 105. Otherwise I think I'd be ok with 205 on the rest of the truck.
M205 on a White LC pad should take the rest of the overspray off if clay got most of it. BTW, beautiful truck!

Old 03-30-2016, 08:03 AM

eBay has been about the cheapest place I have found them. I bought mine there and going to buy another and maybe a wash mitt. I can usually do my wifes car in about 30 minutes. Truck a little longer because of getting on laders and such, but still much quicker than clay. I will not ever go back to clay. I still have clay on hand for some small spots that the DA is hard to get to, but that is what I am hoping the wash mitt or sponge will take care of.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nanoskin-Car...549735&vxp=mtr

Last edited by exploreco; 03-30-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:37 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I wanted to get the wash mitt but wanted to make sure i liked it before spending the money. I think if i like the sponge i will be going with the pad's that go on the D/A.. I bet that would cut alot of time off. ......
I found the pad works on the Flex ( forced rotation )
On a PC DA the speed has to be so high, to get the pad to spin, it splatters the lube everywhere making a mess. If the speed is lowered, there needs to be less pressure so the pad is not really making contact with the surface to remove the contaminants.

I have the pads in fine and med, but only really use them on windshields before polishing.
I use the towels on paint, I am actually faster with the towel than the mitt.

M101, I am at the same point as you, so I can only parrot what others have told me. I just started those questions ( on another site ) on 27-MAR.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:31 PM
Personally, I don't like the idea of the DA pads. It's a nice quiet process to "clay" the paint with the wash mitt. I like listening as I "clay" to be able to know when to stop and move on to the next section.

Same for me and LSP's, I prefer to apply by hand.

I am under the impression after listening to the Meguairs reps talk, that M101 is expensive simply because they hadn't developed it for our market. They saw an opportunity to cash in on our desire for it. It's quite a bit cheaper in the Euro markets.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone use NanoSkin Auto Scrub Sponges?