nerf bars or step tubes

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 09:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question nerf bars or step tubes

looking for some feed back from those who have gone before.

I'm looking to get new Nerf bars or tube steps or running boards or what ever you want to call them. I'm considering N fab the ones with drop hoop
http://www.n-fab.com/products/sfID1/.../productID/150 ...so

I'm asking how ya'll like them,?? of those who has got them??

and to those who have some thing else but similar like Rhino or Smitty-built...same question how do ya like them?

Old 06-27-2014, 11:40 AM
I have never owned a set like that, but rather the more traditional nerf bars where you step on the main part of the bar. I do have a friend with the drop hoop type, and there are advantages and disadvantages to both...

#1. The traditional style tube steps / nerf bars stick out a bit further, and stick out consistently across the lower edge of the truck, this goes a LONG way to keeping wayward doors out of the side of your truck in parking lots.
#2. The drop hoop doesn't stick DOWN for as long of a stretch as traditional nerfs do, particularly in the middle, meaning you are far less likely to get them hung up on something off road, I have seen more than a few nerf bars that are bowed in the middle due to someone crawling over a large rock, or a log, and having it smashed into the nerf bars...
#3. The drop hoop has less lateral space for your foot. This is both good and bad. You sort of HAVE to step where they want you to, which is bad, but if your foot slips, the hoop itself will help stop the slide, which is good...

I personally like the looks of a traditional nerf bar instead of the drop better, but the drop also looks good, particularly on your generation truck... I would be hard pressed to chose!

As far as brands go, I have had Hunter (ebay specials) and Go Rhino, and the difference is night and day... The drop hoop hones my friend has are I think Nfab, and they are nice, every bit as nice as my Go Rhino winch mount / brush guard.

I personally am about to buy new nerf bars due to rust issues with the hunter bars, and I admit I am getting older, and getting stuff in and out of the truck bed isn't as easy as it used to be, so I am most likely going to go with the Go Rhino 4" OE Xtreme Wheel-to-Wheel Oval Side Bars. I have seen a few of them around here, and they look pretty good.

Good luck with making your choice, it's a toughie!

Old 06-27-2014, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by dbhost
I have never owned a set like that, but rather the more traditional nerf bars where you step on the main part of the bar. I do have a friend with the drop hoop type, and there are advantages and disadvantages to both...

#1. The traditional style tube steps / nerf bars stick out a bit further, and stick out consistently across the lower edge of the truck, this goes a LONG way to keeping wayward doors out of the side of your truck in parking lots.
#2. The drop hoop doesn't stick DOWN for as long of a stretch as traditional nerfs do, particularly in the middle, meaning you are far less likely to get them hung up on something off road, I have seen more than a few nerf bars that are bowed in the middle due to someone crawling over a large rock, or a log, and having it smashed into the nerf bars...
#3. The drop hoop has less lateral space for your foot. This is both good and bad. You sort of HAVE to step where they want you to, which is bad, but if your foot slips, the hoop itself will help stop the slide, which is good...

I personally like the looks of a traditional nerf bar instead of the drop better, but the drop also looks good, particularly on your generation truck... I would be hard pressed to chose!

As far as brands go, I have had Hunter (ebay specials) and Go Rhino, and the difference is night and day... The drop hoop hones my friend has are I think Nfab, and they are nice, every bit as nice as my Go Rhino winch mount / brush guard.

I personally am about to buy new nerf bars due to rust issues with the hunter bars, and I admit I am getting older, and getting stuff in and out of the truck bed isn't as easy as it used to be, so I am most likely going to go with the Go Rhino 4" OE Xtreme Wheel-to-Wheel Oval Side Bars. I have seen a few of them around here, and they look pretty good.

Good luck with making your choice, it's a toughie!
Well Dbhost...you put better then I did...& exactly why I posted the question. It is a tough choice.

I appreciate your input and will take into advisement for when I do pull the string.

I'll weed A-LOT out by only getting MADE in the USA. I have had my fill of "made over seas" crap-O-la (aka made in China or Taiwan or some other Asian block country)

Old 07-03-2014, 07:00 AM
Still looking for more feed back...

Old 11-30-2014, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the N-fab bars on my 05 Super crew. The powder coat has peeled up in a large piece near one of the drivers side steps. Three of the ends are also peeling and rusting. These have been on my truck for almost 6 years.

I wouldn't buy these again. For the price they should have lasted longer. I owned the old smithy built bars years ago and they lasted much longer.

I'd be curious to know if others had the same issues or what other similar style steps folks have used.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by Sinzitu
I have the N-fab bars on my 05 Super crew. The powder coat has peeled up in a large piece near one of the drivers side steps. Three of the ends are also peeling and rusting. These have been on my truck for almost 6 years.

I wouldn't buy these again. For the price they should have lasted longer. I owned the old smithy built bars years ago and they lasted much longer.

I'd be curious to know if others had the same issues or what other similar style steps folks have used.
thanks for the feed back.
I still haven't bought anything yet...well, not exactly, I did get a used alum set that came off a f250, the brackets are different but maybe still useable and I have to drill new mount hole in the tube steps, that requires nut-serts. Which is not that bad, I just don't want to do all this work and not have it look worth a hoot.

Right now, I got the old ones off and kinda like the cleaner look. But it is harder to get in , not so much for myself but shorter folks. & lately my right knee is really is unhappy, (torn cartilage), which might benefit from a extra step, but I get in fairly well. With the bum knee is also a reason I haven't worked up the gumption to work on the truck.

Quick Reply: nerf bars or step tubes