PTM Door Handles?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 04:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PTM Door Handles?

I'm looking for a set of exterior door handles for a 2014 Ingot Silver F-150. Years ago there was a member here selling them pre-painted. Where's a good place to buy them?

Thanks,
Baja

Old 02-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Best to take apart your stock ones, sand them smooth, and have them painted.

Otherwise, TascaParts.com might have some available for a higher price.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:09 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm with Darren, You can get the adhesion promoter and paint and primer from a paint supply joint and do it yourself. Not to hard to do. A easy weekend job and would put that extra pride in your ride.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:33 AM
My handles are faded as the wiper cowl and I want to repaint them black. How do you go about taking the handles and cowl off to paint them?

Old 02-11-2014, 02:00 PM

Greentitan, just punch it in on YouTube. 1AAuto has a great video on it, it's pretty easy. I just took one of mine off 2 days ago to sand. The cowl I don't know about, but it can't be too much work. I'm not gonna paint that though. I'm using a restorer on mine.

I painted my tailgate handle after hours of sanding and it turned out pretty damn good. Used Valspar plastic primer, and color-matched paint and clear from automotivetouchup.com. I'm in the process of removing and sanding all of the cab handles to paint during Spring break when I have time and a proper garage to shoot them in. The sanding is just highly labor intensive, but cheaper than buying PTM-able handles.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by greentitan05
My handles are faded as the wiper cowl and I want to repaint them black. How do you go about taking the handles and cowl off to paint them?
For the cowl removal,

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...6k-waring.html

Old 02-12-2014, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by baja150
I'm looking for a set of exterior door handles for a 2014 Ingot Silver F-150. Years ago there was a member here selling them pre-painted. Where's a good place to buy them?

Thanks,
Baja
I have a set of 5 OEM door handles that I would be willing to sell. They are off my 06 F150 that I took off for ptm handles. I'm not sure if they fit your year but if they do and your interested pm me. They are in great shape and you can just have someone sand and paint them.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:30 AM
^^^ No thanks. No offense guys, but I've seen the textured handles that have been sanded/painted and I haven't been that impressed. I've sourced the smooth PTM handles, painted and cleared, for about $430. If you're interested in the part numbers, let me know.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:30 AM

What differences have you been able to see? I truly am curious, because I'd prefer ones that were meant to be PTM, but it's not worth $430 to me, so I'm gonna sand mine either way, just curious as to what you've noticed about not liking them. I'm not sure how you can tell if it's done properly because it's sticking to super high-grit sanded primer either way. On a brand new truck, I'd probably opt for PTM handles though, just because it's the most "correct" way to do it.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:21 AM
The $430 price I listed breaks down to $300 for the parts and $130 for paint. To me, it's not worth it to buy the materials and spend the time to sand down three handles to save $300 - materials. I think if you spend enough time to get them perfectly smooth, the end product can be close to or as good as if you started with OEM smooth parts, but most of the sanded handles I have seen don't have the OEM finish that I'm looking for.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:04 PM

Alright, that's fair. It takes me 3 hours a piece of sanding to get them perfect and how I want them, so if my time were worth more than my money, I'd get the smooth handles haha.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:00 AM

I sanded mine smooth with numerous grits, and the shop prepped them with filler and such, looks precisely like OEM and the quality is great. The extra 3 tanks of fuel was nice to have too. To each their own.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by baja150
^^^ No thanks. No offense guys, but I've seen the textured handles that have been sanded/painted and I haven't been that impressed. I've sourced the smooth PTM handles, painted and cleared, for about $430. If you're interested in the part numbers, let me know.
I'm with you on that.. Not impressive! When I did mine I bought new smooth Harley handles from Tasca and had my local ford dealer paint them, along with my mirror caps and another grille surround while I was at it.

Nice thing about the new handles is they also come with a new keypad, it's amazeing how much more sensitive the new keypad is compared to pushing the buttons harder on my old ones.

Plus I got better things to do than spend hours sanding them down haha.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You DO NOT NEED TO SAND THE PLASTIC HANDLES! I PTM'd my wheel opening flares, a couple years ago now. You need to use quality products, but definitely don't need to sand the texture out of the plastic.

http://www.ppg.com/coatings/commerci...prepsystem.pdf

http://www.skillsontario.com/images/...oc_1_plastic_p

Find a local Body shop supply that carries this stuff, and you are golden. From here, prime them with a decent primer, and then sand the texture out of the primer with a 600 grit paper. If you break through, I would suggest using the process again, so make sure you have enough primer on it to sand.

Like I mentioned, I did my FX4 textured flares, and they have held up to the rock and debris pounding for well over 25 thousand miles.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:50 PM

Being PPG, I am sure it is quality stuff. But for a one time job, is it worth purchasing? I took my parts apart, sanded and smoothed myself, and the dealership body shop did the rest and I have smooth OEM quality handles on my truck. And being good friends with the body shop manager, I paid $80 for 1 front primed bumper, 5 handles with masked chrome pull handles, and 1 grill surround. So to me, sanding to remove texture is all I needed to do as the generous deals makes everything worth while.

My new Harley valance will be roughly $70 to paint.

Quick Reply: PTM Door Handles?