Rattling

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattling

If i'm driving on a smooth flat surface everything is good. When i hit a bump at 20+ MPH i hear a rattling noise (only when the windows are down). It seems to be coming from under the truck. It is a 1997 f150 supercab 4.6L V8. it seems like something may be loose. has anyone experienced this?

Old 11-03-2007, 06:46 PM
i found whats loose...there is a bar under the truck that runs across the front of the truck (close to the bumper). it curves to the front driver's side wheel and the front passenger's side wheel. the bar bolts to a bracket/plate. (the bolt has a 5/8" head and a 5/8" nut...there is a rubber bow tie cone that is around the bolt and a rubber bushing on the bottom) This is near the control arm, the brakes, the shock, the spring, that area. The bolt is about 3 inches too long. Any advice, ideas, or experiences?

Old 11-07-2007, 12:58 PM
i had a friend look at it and he says it's a stabilizer bar. he said there should be a rubber cushion on the top and bottom of the bolt. the top ones apparently came off and the bottom ones are still on but cracked and they're about to fall off. does anyone know where i can get the rubber cushions for the bolts?

Old 11-07-2007, 02:56 PM
Try the dealership. Sway bar bushings shouldn't just fall off unless severly deteriated.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Stumps
Try the dealership. Sway bar bushings shouldn't just fall off unless severly deteriated.
problem solved...three of the four bushings on each side of the stabilizer bar were missing. i picked up a TWR link kit from advance auto parts and now i am good to go. thanks for the suggestions

Quick Reply: Rattling