fiberglass or vinyl?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question fiberglass or vinyl?

I love the look of a fiberglass cover, but the alternatives are much cheaper, or seem to be. Can anyone tell me if there is an advantage.

Also i'm looking for recommendations for bedcovers, fiber or vinyl/kevlar.

Old 04-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure I can really sell a fiberglass lid over a vinyl with the recent advancements that the vinyl covers have overcome...

It used to be such that if you wanted something to lock, you had to go with a fiber lid but, the Undercover (among others) actually lock in place and are very secure.

I love the looks of a fiber lid versus that of a 'plastic looking' vinyl lid but, your observations are totally understandable and justified. Fiber lids do cost a leg but, for me, vinyl wasn't a choice...

If the look is something that you're factoring into your equation, I don't think a vinyl lid can hold a candle to a fiber lid but, if it's straight functionality you're shooting for, vinyl is probably your best bet...

RP

Old 04-11-2005, 02:53 PM
well i'm pretty sure that i'm sold on fiber glass. A fiberglass cover and micro tuner are going to be my early christmas presents to me.

A curiosity questions, has anyone noticed a mpg increase with a bed cover? A friend of mine at work says on highway he went from 16 to almost 19mpg with his 5.4 when he added his bed cover. i know that when i let down the tail gate and drove up the interstate i could feel a huge difference. any comments?

Old 04-12-2005, 01:22 PM
the fiberglas lids are too heavy to remove on your own.

They tend to be a PITA if you need to haul anything.

Old 04-17-2005, 10:03 PM
you can look at the undercover at www.truckcovers.net This is a light weight thermoplastic material that will be available in a paintable version in a few months. I wish I had waited a little longer before I bought mine but I love how easy it is to take on and off. Easy to open and close.

Quick Reply: fiberglass or vinyl?