Water Leak via Antenna!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2000, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Water Leak via Antenna!!

Here is a heads-up for any of you who may have experienced a water leak dripping onto your tranny hump under the ashtray. This has been an ongoing problem for me since I bought the truck 3 years ago. The dealer attempted to duplicate and/or trace the origin of this leak fruitlessly over the years. They finally had a tech from their RV dept. look at it. He pulled the radio out of the dash only to have water drain all over the place from inside the radio chassis. He then pulled the coax out and noticed water running out of it from the INSIDE!! The cure? Well, he ordered a new boot that the antenna mounts on and a new coax. The radio was sent out for inspection and cleaning and works fine, always has for stock. We have had many monsoons here in the Pacific N.W. since this repair and there has not been any more leaking. My service adviser told me he knew of 2 other 97's w/ the same problem and he was going to contact them to have the same repair done. Sorry about the lengthy post, but I just like to share

------------------
'97 F150 4.6,XLT 4X4, Gibson cat-back, Helwig overloads, 285/75/16 Wild Country's, Air Filter mod, Smittybilt Nerfs, Uniden CB

Old 01-25-2000, 04:51 PM
Cool

thanx it's something we all can keep an eye on............

------------------
pacific green 97 f150 4.6l..reg cab flareside 150XLT ,ROUSH suspention down 3 fr and3.5rear with BILSTIEN shocks,3.55LS,snug lid,carpeted bed, painted tailight accents,4x4 grill &bumper,k&n,SUPERCHIP(THANX MIKE),ram air kit,valvoline synthetic,accel super stock wires,platinum plus4 plugs,flow master muff,blue halogen bulbs, speed-glo dash,carbon fiber gauge accent,..."#6 sticker!!!!"
STEREO:eclipse head unit ,boston seperates ,orion amp, pioneer amp,2-orion 12's,custom box by me!,sony adjustable crossover,1 farad cap&way to many cd's

Old 01-27-2000, 10:06 PM
I had this same problem on my old Toyota. After the carpet starting smelling funny, I reached up through the wheel-well and "siliconed" the crap out of the bottom of the antenna. No problems after that.

There's one advantage of working in a silicone manufacturing plant, lots of freebies to take home

Jim

Old 01-28-2000, 06:15 PM
basshunter,thanks had the same problem,the way I found out the radio quit playing. will fix this weekend.

------------------
97 F-150 s/c 4x4 off road package. 4.6,k&n,dual exhaust.

Old 01-28-2000, 07:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Thanks for the ino basshunter! I sent a copy of your post to several of my friends who own 97 F-150s.

Is anyone with a 98 and up having this problem?

---------------------------------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, Pendaliner bedliner, K&N air filter, rubberized undercoating, cabin filtration system, Bugflector II, 5W-30 Mobil 1, engine build 10/4/99

Old 01-31-2000, 01:56 PM
I sure hope that nobody else has this problem, but if you have a leak on the tranny hump or passenger floorboard, it would be the first thing I would check. As far as I know, the new boot/grommet that was installed at the base of the antenna was redesigned for the '98 model year.

Old 02-01-2000, 08:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is good to know. So far, the problem seems to be isolated to 97 models.

---------------------------------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, Pendaliner bedliner, K&N air filter, rubberized undercoating, cabin filtration system, Bugflector II, 5W-30 Mobil 1, engine build 10/4/99

Quick Reply: Water Leak via Antenna!!