stereo buttons broke

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stereo buttons broke

I have a '97 F-150 and the stereo seek button is broke and sometimes the on/off pushbutton doesn't stay pushed in to turn off the power.
I want to get it fixed.
Any ideas on what to do would be appreciated.
Will the dealer replace the whole thing or can those two switches be fixed? How much for a new factory head unit if it needs replaced? Thanks!

Old 07-06-2002, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really hope your experiences...

...with dealers and stereos is different than mine, but I found the dealers here in Texas pretty much keep away from stereo problems. They treat the stereos here as a complete unit, which is handled by an elusive "local distributor". If anything is wrong with the unit, they replace the entire head unit. This is not unlike many stereo issues (home, car, etc.) in their defense - I mean, how many people actually repair CD players, TVs, or stereo speakers compared to the number that are sold?

On the other hand, replacement may be easier than you think. If you have the original '97 AM/FM cassette (M100), AM/FM Cassette with CD Controls (P100), or AM/FM/CD (model number escapes me) you might be able to call Radios and More (http://www.radiosandmore.com) about one of the replacement units they have from their business in factory radios. They may also have advice as to how you can upgrade with Ford OEM equipment, should you so desire. I recently purchased a Mach MP3 player from them (which is normaly offered as an option on Rangers).

By the way, if you need to replace an M100 (AM/FM/Cassette, no CD changer controls) I have my old one and would sell it cheap. It's on my coffee table and the wife is sick of looking at it. You also may have luck on eBay, although the newer systems seem to more available there than the '97-only models.

Best of luck to you-

Quick Reply: stereo buttons broke