Just a little tip for the lurkers...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Got one, kind of..

I've got a MTX Thunderform under the back seat but I didn't get the amplified one. I bought a MTX 4250D to power. IMO it sounds great. It won't shake the mirrors off the truck but you definitely know it's there. Hope this helps.

Bob

Old 01-19-2002, 12:44 PM
Talking 8" dual sub box

I have actually heard both that mtx dual 8" box and a Q-Logic box with two Polk DX subs and the MTX sounded better. Weird. For door speakers I am extremely impressed with Polk's offering but they still need time to grow on the sub side. Don't get me wrong, they both sounded decent. If you don't BLAST your tunes and you don't really focus your listening on rap or metal then you would be fine with two 8's. They sounded full enough for the space. I am addicted to hearing monstrous thunderous bass when I crank up an Ozzy or 311 song so I had to go with the 2 10"s. I see people here posting about them putting two 12"s into the back without removing the seat and it's just IMPOSSIBLE to do that while having enough room inthe box. The most important thing about installing subs is the size of the box. It has to have the right dimensions and size for the size of the intended subs. The MTX box is perfect for two 8"s so it does sound pretty full. If money is not a huge issue I would either go for their highest end subs or...actually forget it. I think they only make one level in 8" size. Well...I am rambling. Time to go find some good books on fiberglass. I am going to attempt a very radical transformation of my back seat so two large amps can set into the seat and back but two adults can still sit and seatbelt on the sides. I feel like mad Dr. Frankenstein! Muaaahahahahaa.
See attached files for my horrible sketch if interested. Never said I was an artist

Old 01-19-2002, 12:51 PM
Hey Rtroha

Hey Rtroha,
Nice truck! What size tires are those and what rims did you use? Sorry for the off topic post.
Mozzer Rocks

Old 01-19-2002, 03:26 PM
Hi Mozzer.

They're 35" ProComp Mud Terrains and the wheels are Eagle Alloy 1189's.

BTW, as far as the stereo stuff goes, I'm getting ready to install a Blaupunkt Hamburg HU with a MTX 6304 4 channel amp to power 4 Polk DX-7's. It should rock. That is if my HU ever gets here.

Bob

Old 01-19-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Norm
12Vrep, of course you would disagree, you sell headunits.
I would disagree with it regardless. I sell speakers and amps as well, so what does that have to do with anything?

Old 01-21-2002, 10:05 AM
12Vrep, I am not trying to stir things up but you would have a biased opinion on this issue because you make money selling aftermarket equipment. There have been many tests done which prove that todays heads sound the same as the aftermarket ones. I am sure you know who Richard Clark and David Navone are. They actually tested the Visteon models (and others) we use in our trucks against aftermarket units and found that there is no difference in sound between properly installed amps and speakers with a factory head versus an aftermarket head. The aftermarket head just gives you flashy displays and some features you may or may not need. They actually went on to say that the ergonomics and ease of use of todays heads is much better than the aftermarket and you have a system that is covered by the vehicles warranty. Obviously if you want video, MP3 or some other feature that the factory does not offer then go ahead and upgrade but the fact remains that amps, speaker and subs are a much more cost effective improvement. The aftermarket head can be added later if more features are needed.

Last edited by Norm; 01-21-2002 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:26 AM
SPEAKERS FIRST

I've been in the industry for 13+ years and " I " would recommend the speakers/amp first. I will do no good to purchase a aftermarket head unit and hook it up to 4 5X7's in your late model F-150 that on a 1-way dual cone paper design.

And, installing a Tweeter in-line with them, sure you'll have more sound, you just added a speaker that is strictly designed to reproduce the "highs" only, not to mention the fact that you just dropped the impedance load on the amp of the head-unit. THAT'S A BIG NO, NO.

I have replace everything in a 1999 F-150 SuperCab and used a line driver, to boost the voltage of the signal off of the high level to low level converter. With the OEM Deck and 2-8"s and all new speakers........Sounded GREAT. But, the customer wanted to retain the stock look in the truck, to keep the sticky fingers out!!!!

If you don't have a CD player, YES go buy a new H/U, for better sound...........its in the BIBLE......speakers and amps first! For the latest technology i.e. CD, XM radio.....etc. THEN GO BUY YOURSELF A NEW DECK.

And from a "SALES" or "REP" stand point.........there is more profit margin in speakers and amps, not to mention the all the cables and labor. All this for helping the customer make the right decision. SEE........it's easy to sell a new Head Unit......9 out of 10 times the customer has already made up his mind, from either a friend or just because the deck has a remote or a bunch of "pretty lights"

Norm, is telling it like it is..........Richard Clark and David Navone.....are like the ADAM & EVE of the 12Volt industry.

Old 01-21-2002, 01:37 PM
Husker150:

What type of line driver did you install in the 99 supercab installation? I planned on doing the same setup before I upgrade my Headunit. I am waiting for the next generation of the mp3 hard drives that operate like cd changers.

Old 01-21-2002, 08:16 PM
I will agree 110% that changing the speakers will enhance the output of any radio...lower the OHMS increase the output...simple math. I too have been in the industry for 10+ years, from installing to selling and now to repping. In that time I have swayed more people to "just" change the speakers and be done. I do have to say that if you are going to do a good quality system that the H/U should be the first and most important purchase you make, and that is just my opinion. Norm, you brought up Visteon, I used to rep Visteon and I know their quality. Like LOCO said, it is the same as any OEM. If they would have came out with a unit that had even a sub out that would have raised their stock...but they didn't.

I am an enthusiast before I am a rep and I love car audio. The wonderful thing about it is that each person likes something different than the next. And we all know there are enough choices out there to please everyone. The important thing is to enjoy doing whatever you do.

Old 01-22-2002, 02:02 PM
Actually they do have models with sub outs. They also have internal DSPs which are set up for the vehicle they are installed in. (Unfortunately this cannot be changed if you move it to a different vehicle.) They are used on the Expedition and Explorers. The output is line level but is differential not single ended like a standard RCA on aftermarket heads. You would still need to use a LOC to connect it to an aftermarket amp and sub. Visteon has changed alot in recent years and I am sure you would be surprised at what they are doing now.

Quick Reply: Just a little tip for the lurkers...