Install Video Screens in Expedition

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Install Video Screens in Expedition

Ok, I have a 2006 Ford Expedition XLT. The front seats are full seats and don't have removable headrests. The second row is dual bucket seats and the third row is a 60/40 bench. The truck came with the rear DVD entertainment package in it but I don't like it. The DVD player is too sensitive and doesn't work half the time. I have replaced the original head unit with a new one(Clarion VX400) and I am thinking of removing the dropdown video screen(sunroof/moonroof will replace it) but I want to put a couple of separate video screens in for my kids to watch while they are in the car with me. I really want to do the work myself but I also don't feel comfortable with cutting holes in the back of the headrests to place monitors in the seats. Is there any type of mount that can hook up to the ceiling to allow for screens to be on them and for them to fold up? I found a pair of Kenwood ones that have been discontinued and they look good but they connect to existing overhead handle bars that are mounted to the ceiling. The handle bars I have in my truck are mounted on a side pillar next to the front seats.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:05 PM
The problem your going to have by just cutting holes in the seat is the tv's will be facing downward and also there are metal support bars in the upper section of the seat you will need to make custom pods that you can mount the tv's that way you can make them bigger at the bottom to give a better view for your kids also your be able to mount the pods to the metal bars in the seat and then mount the tv's in the pods. hope that helps you out.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the info. I would prefer not to cut holes in the seats. I was hoping for some sort of LCD mount that I could install somewhere.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Why not just save all that trouble and buy a headrest system off eBay or
Amazon. If you're thinking seriously about cutting into headrests I'd find one
junked somewhere and practice on it first.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Let me say again, I really do not want to cut into the seats at all. That is not my preference. The reason for this post is to ask if there are any aftermarket LCD mounts that would work in this truck, not to ask about LCD's in the headrests. I don't trust myself to do that work as I would probably mess it up.

Quick Reply: Install Video Screens in Expedition