Just ordered CB stuff

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just ordered CB stuff

Been wanting to get a CB for a while, so I finally pulled the trigger. Here's what I got:

Midland 1001LWX 40 Channel Mobile CB with ANL, RF Gain, PA, and Weather Scan
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00176RNLA

Firestik Fire-Flex ® Stake-Hole Mount With Cable Mini-Kit - Firestik MK-294R
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X3D7EU

SPRING SHOCK SS HD UP TO 5'
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00042LC9M

5' FIRESTIK ORIGINAL 5/8 WAVE WHITE
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X3C8QI

and since I'm pretty much the only person I know with a CB, I got a Midland 75-785 40-Channel CB Radio so I can put it in friends cars when we are road tripping/trail riding/I'm having to tow their little po-dunk cars around.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005Q4ZV

Hopefully it will be a good little set-up for me. Looking at tying into my Viper 5901 alarm speaker as well so I can use it as a PA (any reason I wouldn't be able to?. If not, I can pick up a cheap speaker to mount, but it would be easy to just use that one since its already there and mounted very well...

Old 07-30-2011, 09:46 PM
That should be a nice setup. I've got the Midland 1001z with a Browning 69" antenna and it does great. Once I got it tuned, I was talking to friends up to about 7-8 miles away.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:34 AM
That is a very good setup. Looking back I wish I had gone with the radio you got. You'll also be very happy to have that spring, it will save you lots of money down the road on broken and lost antennas.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Thats good to hear. Don't really know that much about CBs or know anyone that does either. Already told the car club here I bought them and they all seem to be thrilled.
And I thought the spring would be a good buy. Already have clearance issues with my lights, so with a 5' antenna sticking up from my bed rail, figured I'd have even more issues...

Old 08-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Post pics when you have it done

Old 08-03-2011, 09:31 PM
will do. Also, I was planning on installing it between my driver's seat and the flow through console. Just kinda slide it in there and let the tightness hold itself there (at least for now). But I did read somewhere that these things will overheat really easily and needed open space to cool. Any input on this? Should I look elsewhere to install it or will that original place work? There aren't to many other inconspicuous and easily accessible places I can think of...

Old 08-03-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm not so sure about that. I know my Cobra has never gotten hot. But consider this, have you ever felt a stereo head unit under normal operation? Those things get pretty warm and they dont see any air movement.

Also, every radio like yours that I've seen installed, they had it in their dash, didn't have any problems.

Trending Topics

Old 08-03-2011, 09:55 PM
I have a Cobra 29LTD which replaced my Texas Ranger. I installed them both in the dash and never had overheating issues. The ranger was boosted, so it was always hot when I keyed the mic. As for the Cobra, No problems thus far, and its been almost a good year.

there pretty much made to be stuck inside a semi trucks Roof Mounting area. You have a pretty good setup. I was dumb and put a ton of money into a CB system in my truck. It just wasnt necessary. I had 2 Wilson 2000 watt Antennas, and my CB hooked up to a Capacitor for a sound system so I'd stop bearing down on my alternator. Bunch of needless wiring, and power was all that was.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Never had any of my radios overheat or get hot from use. I have had them mounted to the roof, in my center console and never had a problem yet. The only time I have heard of problems is when someone uses the center dash tray on top for a mounting location because it will get hot enough to remelt the solder sitting in direct sun light with a black radio case.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:29 PM
dang that's what i did^

Old 08-12-2011, 10:05 PM
everything got here and is installed. need to remember to snap some pics next time I'm in my truck. turned out just like I wanted. Just need some people to talk to now... not that many people using CBs up in Wyoming I've found.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Wheres it mounted at? And its hard to find people to talk to anywhere. I got mine mainly because it is easier to talk to 4-5 friends on the cb when you are out riding instead of calling/texting eachother.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:40 PM
exactly what i use mine for, it's really helpful when offroading

Old 08-13-2011, 09:01 PM
i know i got an 02 f150 but i mounted mine on the ceiling
it works well. hid all the wires and all. just got the new cobra with the lcd screen...went back to my supertuned cobra chrome. make sure u tune your antenna. also if it is not plugged into an antenna. if this instance occurs put in on PA (if applicable) and or unplug it. if your new at cb's i can help(if ya want) for i have completely been captured by them since i was 5.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:53 AM
I have mine just shoved in between the drivers seat and the flow through console. Forgot to take pictures again today...

And the main use I'll be using it for is with the university car club I'm in as we drive on cruises or head to the drag strip. Right now we have to depend of calling each other, which doesn't always work out. Plus, I'm the designated tow truck, so I want to make sure I know what the person I'm pulling is doing and they know what I'm doing at all times.

I think I'm going to just leave it not tuned at this point. Only going to be as good as the weakest radio in the group, and I'll have the best one by far. Everyone else is ordering hand held CBs that you plug into a cig lighter.

Quick Reply: Just ordered CB stuff