Should I change how I did door Dynamat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I change how I did door Dynamat?

I have a 200 F150 Supercrew. Yesterday I put a layer of Dynamat on the inside of pretty much the entire door outer skin, and then a layer to completely sheet the inside skin and covering all the holes in the door frame (except the bottom drain holes). I did this to both the front and back doors. My son said he thinks this might over-deaden the doors and kill the sound when I put in the sound system.

I won't have the new sound system for a week or so to try it out and see. So I thought I would ask here:

Is it a problem the way I am doing it, or should I go back and cut out the holes on the inner door frame and reinstall the sheet of factory moisture barrier?

Since I also deadened the door's outer skin, cutting out the large holes in the door would at least save a little weight.

I am doing the back wall today....

Thanks!

Old 08-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Overdeadening the doors... that is a new one. After covering up all the holes, you really only need to add material to the flat parts of the outer and inner door skins. To reject noise, you'll need to add MLV, otherwise you are wasting material.

But, you are doing it correctly, cover as much holes as possible.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:14 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only problem with overdeadening is that it is a waste of money and added weight to your vehicle. However, it will NOT negatively affect the sound of your speakers. Always better to have more than not enough, so I wouldn't worry about it you did just fine.

Quick Reply: Should I change how I did door Dynamat?