tail gate alarm

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tail gate alarm

There has been increasing incidences of vehicles being broken into at my workplace. I am wondering if there is a way to put a switch on the tailgate, that when opened would trip the factory alarm.

I could just lock the tailgate, I know. But I have a soft tonneau cover and am afraid that they would just cut it. A hard tonneau just isn't in my budget. I am figuring that they would just go the easy route and try to open the tailgate first.

I am just not sure where I would tap into the factory system to do this.

I did a search for tailgate alarm and didn't find anything but 1 question asking about adding a mercury switch or a magnetic switch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:02 AM
I have done several trucks tailgates that I have either installed a magnetic switch to read the tailgate or even installed a tilting switch inside the tailgate itself for when the tailgate drops past a certain degree.

Does your truck have an alarm on it? Many people are confused with the flashing light on the dash being an alarm system. That is just a dummy light when the ignition is off and is only used for when starting the vehicle to show that the PATS coded key system is verifying the key. If you did not have the correct key code then that light would flash rapidly and not allow the truck to crank.

There is no "FACTORY" alarm system installed on the F150. The dealership may install something aftermarket or even the FORD system which is technically an aftermarket piece added after-the-build.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:38 AM
Hmmm....I thought it was an alarm. Guess I was wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. Will have to check into getting one I guess. Thanks for the reply

Old 09-26-2010, 06:52 PM
If you had an aftermarket alarm system, couldn't you fab up some sort of hood pin switch back there where if the alarm is armed and someone opens your tail gate and it comes off that switch the alarm would go off?

Old 09-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Black'd F150
If you had an aftermarket alarm system, couldn't you fab up some sort of hood pin switch back there where if the alarm is armed and someone opens your tail gate and it comes off that switch the alarm would go off?
you could but a good pin wouldnt be the ideal option. to big/bulky. Magnetic or a tilt inside the the skin itself would be ideal.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:37 PM
My old truck had a door jab switch to turn on the interior cab light. That would be a neat and clean switch to use. Basically it looks like a push button switch.
LMC Truck= Part # 47-0615 DOOR JAMB SWITCH $4.95
Part # 47-0625 SOCKET-DOOR JAMB SWITCH $6.95

Last edited by gator68; 12-05-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:46 AM
Honestly, while that may be a good looking switch. It isnt the best possible and for under 10 bucks (at least was where I was) magnetic and tilt switches are the correct choice. Especially if (like was already stated) the switch was mounted inside the tailgate.

Quick Reply: tail gate alarm