Do you run new speaker wires when replacing stock equip?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Do you run new speaker wires when replacing stock equip?

For those of you who replaced your stock hu and/or speakers, do you run new speaker wire? Do you use the old hu power wires into the new hu? Thanks in advance

Old 06-13-2001, 10:07 PM
If your gonna just replace your stock hu and speakers leave the wires there.

If your gonna run an amp of 50+ watts I would recommend running better wire, but it may not be completely necessary.

Old 06-14-2001, 11:56 PM
If you're going to the trouble disassembling a dash to replace a HU, and all the hassle that entails, I can't imagine why you'd leave spaghetti-thin speaker line behind, regardless of wattage. IMHO, even if you aren't using hi-watt at the moment, why go thru the hassle of having to get into the dash AGAIN if you upgrade later? I'd opt to get it all done up front, screwd, and get it over with. Replace the wiring, even if you aren't going to upgrade speakers till later. Save yourself some time and hassle.

Old 06-18-2001, 08:07 PM
I agree with captain on this if you are running a high power amp, but sundog7 also has a very good point. A spool of 16-18ga. speaker wire is inexpensive, so its prolly not a bad idea just to change it out. Plus, if you should ever decide to maybe run a 4-channel amplifier, you would have a nice clean pipeline there and would get a clean signal to all your speakers.

------------------
2001 F150 SC Red XLT
4x4 Off Road Package
5.4L V.8 3.55LS
Go-Rhino Grill Guard w/KC o-r lights
Pioneer Premier DEH-P410
A/D/S/ 236is front spks
Alpine SWR1040 Subwoofer
Rockford Fosgate 500.2 & 400.4 Amps
Viper alarm w/autostarter

Old 06-21-2001, 04:11 AM
but if you do eventually run an amp, you dont run the wires through your dash. amps usually go under seats or behind seat backs. ive never seen an amp fit in the dash(kiddin). so, if you do run the wire, which i agree you should, leave enough length so that it can reach under the seats.

Quick Reply: Do you run new speaker wires when replacing stock equip?