How do I remove the factory stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2000, 12:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do I remove the factory stereo?

My new cd player and speakers arrived today. I already installed the rear speakers but I need help with the head unit. How do I remove the dash trim to get to the stereo? I already have the DIN tools for it but the installation guide from Crutchfield shows the trim removed. I ran late installing the speakers so I didn't want to rush with the deck. Any help is appreciated.

------------------
Stock Stuff:
Y2K SCab 4X4, Chesnut Metallic, 5.4L, 3.55 Limited Slip, Skid Plates, Factory AM/FM/CD, 40/60 Split Bench, Sliding Rear Window, Towing Package and Keyless Entry.

Extras so far:
305/70X16 GY Wrangler ATS, American Eagle Series 146 chrome wheels, K&N filter, Blaupunkt Houston CD player and PCxt573 speakers, Catch-All floor mats, tinted windows to match factory rear glass, Bull Ring retractable tie-downs, www.f150online.com sticker below center brake light. University of Georgia hitch cover "GO DAWGS!"

Future plans (the good stuff):
Airbox/FIPK mod, Flowmaster 40 Series muffler and stainless exaust tip, spray in liner (or Herculiner haven't decided), stainless nerf bars, hood deflector.

Old 09-13-2000, 08:37 AM
Cool

Onemilmhz:
Go to the following threads... Great, detailed info....You just "pop" the surrounding trim piece off.
http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/FLM/F-150.html
http://www.installdr.com/

------------------
2001 F-150 Super Crew Lariat 4x4
5.4 engine; Chestnut w/ gold trim; Captain's Chairs; Ford/ Duraliner bed insert; Six disc CD changer (in center console); Fosgate FNP1614 component speakers (front); Pioneer TS-A6855 speakers (rear); 8 inch MTX sub in custom built, center console, sealed enclosure; ZAPCO AG150 amplifier; Moon roof; 98/99 Expedition center console; Bed extender; Class 3 trailer hitch

Old 09-13-2000, 06:20 PM
Thanks FedExPilot, great info. Got the head unit installed late last night. I have to say, the ease with which one can remove these dash pieces bothers me a little. I mean, tilt the vents, reach in and pull? If I were a thief I'd be going after nothing but F-150/Expeditions! Are other makes/models similar these days? I remember trying to remove the dash trim in my 95 Celica nearly killed me!

Off subject:
BTW FedEx, do you really fly or is that just a name? I ask because my dad flies commercially out of Cincinnati. When he retired from the Air Force in 89' he interviewed with both FedEx and UPS. He ended up choosing a small (at the time)regional carrier that was just bought by Delta. Was just curious. Thanks again!

Old 09-13-2000, 08:57 PM
Cool

Onemilmhz:
I'm a retired Navy fighter pilot with a second (flying) career at FedEx - - flying the Airbus 300.

Quick Reply: How do I remove the factory stereo?