CD Changer help

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 07:15 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CD Changer help

I have an Xplod 10 disc changer and I need to know how to hook it up. I need to know where I can splice the red wire and where to splice the yellow wire. I fried my stock head unit trying to do it already off os half-assed directions. I know have a Xplod head unit. I just need to know how to hook up the changer. Its been sitting in there for 9 months and I want to get it working. Thanks.

O yea, 98 Expedition if that means anything

Old 12-16-2005, 01:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everytime i install a multi cd changer, instead of splicing the wire, i just remove the appropriate fuse, place the copper wire in the fuse cavity and then plug the fuse back in which holds the wire in place and it conducts just fine. Its not scientific but it works for me and its easier to remove if you want to change vehicles. I would run the wires to the ignition fuse (so it doesn't run if you forget to shut the power off when you leave the vehicle) and the other one off of something unimportant like the cigarette lighter. I believe yellow goes to ignition and red to other source (cigarette lighter) ...95% sure.

Old 12-19-2005, 06:59 PM
Fuse Tap

Tap them into the fuse panel. They make a little fuse tap that wraps around one of the prongs of the fuses you want to tap into and then you plug it back in. Then you can use any regular female connector and slide it over the fuse tap. They work great and they are safe and totally reversible if you do something else or sell the truck. Red should be your constant power and Yellow should be your switched. Good luck.

Old 12-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Both replies here are wrong. YELLOW IS CONSTANT POWER!!!!!

The best and easiest thing for you do to, is since you need to connect to your deck, is to connect your yellow to yellow and red to red, at the deck. If you used a wiring harness it can't get any easier, then you don't need to run wires to 2 places. You have the sony installed right!?

Caution. If you use fuse taps... I have personally seen these cause issues bending the female receptacles in the fusebox, over TIME it may cause intermittent operation due to loose connections. If you do it this way, make sure you use the fused side of the fuse!

It's your truck and your buck! Good luck!

(geez, that wasn't meant to sound so dumb, ha ha ha)

Last edited by frostby; 12-20-2005 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:43 PM
Yah, good call on the Constant/Switched...Thats what I get for typing late at night. Sony.com has all the proper wiring instructions. I guess you could connect it at the deck with the other wiring harness if your going to be in there anyway. Guess it fried the factory deck becuase of some OTHER wiring issue last time right?!

By the way I have NEVER had a problem with fuse taps.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: CD Changer help