questions on battery terminals..

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
questions on battery terminals..

Hey guys,
I'm going to start piecing together my system. My first delima is the battery terminal. In stock form the truck has 2 4-guage positive wires and one 8-gauge wire. I'm going to be adding a 4-gauge power wire, and eventually at least one but maybe 2 8-gauge wires.

So that would mean I would need a terminal that can accept 3 4-guage and 3 8-guage. I'm at a loss trying to figure out to go with here. I was throwing around the idea of gettin fussed distribution block and mounting it next to the battery. Then running only a 0-gauge from the battery to the distribution block. And all the other connections get hooked up to the distribution block.

I'm trying to see what things everyone else has done, and what other options I have. I didn't see a good spot to put the distribution block, so I'm at loss. Maybe a Dual terminal ring setup??

Old 06-23-2005, 05:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use the starter relay on the firewall behind the battery. (on 01-03 F150, not sure what you have)

Old 06-23-2005, 06:52 PM
You can put a new RV/boat deep cycle lead end on your existing wires so you will have a thumb screw post on top for attaching the extra stuff too. Good luck.....

Old 06-24-2005, 02:33 AM
Originally Posted by crudeau
Hey guys,
I was throwing around the idea of gettin fussed distribution block and mounting it next to the battery. Then running only a 0-gauge from the battery to the distribution block. And all the other connections get hooked up to the distribution block.

I'm trying to see what things everyone else has done, and what other options I have. I didn't see a good spot to put the distribution block, so I'm at loss. Maybe a Dual terminal ring setup??
What I've done in the past and will do on my current install is to run a StreetWires 4guage ring terminal off the factory post and run it all the way back to the back seat area where I'll mount the amps. Then use a fused distribution block and 8 guage to the amps/caps. So you are on the right track, but I would suggest that you wait until the 4guage gets run all the way back to the amps before separating it into 8guage. You want as much 4guage as possible and as little 8guage as possible. I would say less than 18inches from distribution block to amp...

Good luck, and let's see some pics when done...

Old 06-24-2005, 09:37 AM
The 8 guage on the battery were not for the amps. I wanted to run one to the front spot lights, and one would run into the cab for accesories and reverse fog lights.

Any of you have pics of what you did?

Last edited by crudeau; 06-24-2005 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:28 AM
A distribution block dosen't have to be used for stereo stuff.... it will work great for any accessories. Here some ideas....

http://www.darvex.com/miva/merchant....egory_Code=FDB

Quick Reply: questions on battery terminals..