Do I have a Power Prob?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 07:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I have a Power Prob?

Hi. Im having a problem. I think its a power supply issue. I have 3 10"subs being pushed with 3 amps and Farads; approximatley 2000 watts. I have Sirius Satellite and a Kenwood KDC M065. Oh, and some 6x9s. My system rocks out hard, no doubt, however, it seems recently, this issue.....
Im having system black outs. Im pretty sure its the power source, but I just want to see what some of you thought.
I start up my 2001 F150, extended cab, and commence to jammin. As I ride, my Crossfire BD600 amp struggles; its pushing my 2 Fosgate HX2's, 1000w each. Theyre wired down to 1ohm.
Whats happening is after a while, the amp begins to cut in and out, almost " flickers" Now, if I drive around for a day or 2, NO music, natrually it charges my battery, and when I crank it up again, I get a good amount of time, no headlight flickering, no amp going out. Also, When the amp is going off and on, as long as Im driving and accelorating, itll stay on....but the minute Im coasting or deccelorating, it starts cutting out again. Im certain its my battery or alternator, just not certain HELP?

Ive considered another battery soley for my audio, or perhaps a stronger alternator. Any advice? especially on installing it.
Thanks
John

Old 02-06-2005, 12:49 PM
It sound like your battery need replacing. With that much power running in your truck i would buy the optima battery and higher amperage alternator.

Old 02-07-2005, 04:33 PM
2000 watts is ALOT of power, granted, you are not always using it if you can still hear but...

I wouldn't put the blame on your battery so quickly. Nor would I say you have a bad alternator. You are asking it to deliver up to 145 AMPS and then some for efficiency loss... There is NO power left from the alternator, so it'll dip into the battery for juice, that much draw will pull you easily below 10 volts. I'd be on the watch out for premature alternator failure. I believe a sustained draw of 75%of max will really shorten it's life.

3 caps'll cushion that blow but not for long... You need to work on a smaller more efficient system or a BETTER alternator. I really don't know for sure what our trucks have for alternators, but I wouldn't expect it to be above 120A at like 3000 RPM. When shopping take into account extra for heater, headlights, power this and that...

Adding a second battery isn't always a good idea either. It's a added burden on your charging system, and only recommended for systems that run for extended periods with the engine offl.

Sorry I don't have any good/or cheap news for you...

Old 02-08-2005, 08:46 AM
Is this something that just developed? or has it been this way since the system was installed? If it just developed, check and make sure your power and ground connections are still intact. You may have picked up a little corrosion, or your ground lug might be a little loose...just a thought...

Matt

Also might be time for a new serpentine belt...it might be glazed...slipping on the alt pulley while decelerating/low RPM

Quick Reply: Do I have a Power Prob?