XM Commander Disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry XM Commander Disappointment

First a little history:

The stock stereo in my 99, 00, 01, and 02 F-150 XLT SCab all sounded pretty good to me. I installed a pair of Alpine 5x7 2-way speakers in the front door of the 02 and it sounded better.

My dilema:

I purchased a 2004 F-150 XL Scab with the dual media stereo system and decided to use the $300 Best Buy gift card that the dealer gave me to upgrade the speakers and install XM Radio. I chose the XM Commander because it was small and it wired directly into the head unit (thinking this would give me better sound). I also bought four Pioneer 6x8 3-way speaker to replace the factory speakers (Best Buy doesn't have JACK for speaker selection). The radio and CD player sound better with the new speakers, but when I turn on the XM, it sounds dull with very poor sound quality. I also have to crank the volume to hear the XM. I was expecting something between FM radio and CD sound quality when I made this purchase. I have already changed the radio station to eliminate the hiss on XM, and I cranked the audio level up to 8, which is the highest setting. The antenna is mounted in front of the 3rd brake light, and everything was professionally installed.

My questions:

Is this as good as it gets?

Are my expectations too high?

Did I buy the wrong components?

Should I throw more $$ (amp?) at this in hopes of making it sound better?

Should I uninstall the Commander and discontinue the XM service to cut my losses?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Old 12-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Re: XM Commander Disappointment

Originally posted by OPIE
First a little history:

The stock stereo in my 99, 00, 01, and 02 F-150 XLT SCab all sounded pretty good to me. I installed a pair of Alpine 5x7 2-way speakers in the front door of the 02 and it sounded better.

My dilema:

I purchased a 2004 F-150 XL Scab with the dual media stereo system and decided to use the $300 Best Buy gift card that the dealer gave me to upgrade the speakers and install XM Radio. I chose the XM Commander because it was small and it wired directly into the head unit (thinking this would give me better sound). I also bought four Pioneer 6x8 3-way speaker to replace the factory speakers (Best Buy doesn't have JACK for speaker selection). The radio and CD player sound better with the new speakers, but when I turn on the XM, it sounds dull with very poor sound quality. I also have to crank the volume to hear the XM. I was expecting something between FM radio and CD sound quality when I made this purchase. I have already changed the radio station to eliminate the hiss on XM, and I cranked the audio level up to 8, which is the highest setting. The antenna is mounted in front of the 3rd brake light, and everything was professionally installed.

My questions:

Is this as good as it gets?

Are my expectations too high?

Did I buy the wrong components?

Should I throw more $$ (amp?) at this in hopes of making it sound better?

Should I uninstall the Commander and discontinue the XM service to cut my losses?

Any advise would be appreciated.
The problem with the sound is with not having an amp on those speakers. The HU amp is not going to cut it on most after market speakers. It will improve the sq. but in my case I lost lower end when I upgraded just the speakers. I did not gain any more out put (volume) until I added the amp.
We all have to turn up the volume alittle compared to CD and FM. Not as much as you are saying. I have the same xm install and get great sq and plenty of volume from it. Now I do have my after market speakers amped though. Not saying that an amp will solve all the problems, but that is where I woud start. My XM has very close to CD sq from it. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Dupuis; 12-09-2004 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:25 PM
So I assume that you have both radio and xm control ,and are using fm mod ...if thats the case audio is going to be weaker ....what type of radio is it and does it have aux input if so use that and it will make a big difference and no more hiss

Old 12-09-2004, 05:28 PM
My bad I read your post wrong I think...you are using fm mod with stock radio ....if you have the new 150 and not the heritage they will soon have a aux input for the newer radio that will make a huge difference....and you will get true digital sound then

Old 12-09-2004, 05:39 PM
If you ARE using a modulator, this is your problem. They work "OK" on a bone stock system, but as soon as you start making upgrades the audio system from there, you will only magnify the weaknesses of a modulator. Wait for the "direct in" AUX adapter. SQ should be great then.

Matt

EDIT: In the meantime, go back to Best Buy, and tell them you want a better modulator. The SQ probably won't get much better, but you should be able to match your levels a lot better...

Last edited by Mattmanyam; 12-09-2004 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:58 PM
So there is hope!

I have been doing a little bit of research and found this thread about the same problems that I have been having.

http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t=33577

Where should I look for this AUX input adapter (when it becomes available) and which FM modulator is better than the one that came with the XM Commander?

Thanks, leapfrog and Matt.

Old 12-09-2004, 08:28 PM
I wouldn't bother messing on a new FM unit, just wait for the AUX to Canbus adapter like the rest of us are.

Trending Topics

Old 12-09-2004, 09:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, more power makes more difference than you might think. I installed my pannasonic sirius head unit that does 50w x 4 vurses the 20ish per channel of the stock unit and the difference is staggering.

Old 12-10-2004, 12:55 PM
I will have a better idea about the aux input for the newer 150's after the consumer electonics show first week of january....being this close to the end of the year it may not get released until the show... they are working on it ...just hang in there couple more weeks hopefully

Quick Reply: XM Commander Disappointment