More XM Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question More XM Questions

When I bought my new F-150, the dealer gave me a $300 Best Buy gift card. I would like to install XM radio and new speakers, but I have a few concerns.

I have heard that the XM units that are hard wired to the head unit have much better sound than the ones that use a FM channel. I am also concerned with the fact that on many of my cross-country trips, I will be driving through several different radio signals which could interfere with the XM signal. I have looked at the SkyFi2 and XM Commander, but from what I understand, both of these units use FM channels. Is there a quality XM unit that will hard wire into the factory head unit?

Old 11-24-2004, 08:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go with Sirius you wont regret it!

Old 11-25-2004, 01:12 PM
at this time, the only way to use xm or sirius with the factory f150 stereo is with the FM modulator. there are a few companies that are working on auxillary (AUX) input adapters, but none have been released yet. so your options are to use the FM modulator until the AUX input adapter becomes available, or buy a new headunit with an AUX input (which most have).

Old 11-25-2004, 07:14 PM
tsc
The Commander is hard wired to the headunit through the FM antenna, thus when using the Commander, the FM antenna is basically "shut off", The skyfi2 can be wired in using a pie adapter. Go to xmfan.com Their forum rock's, I got my Skyfi 2 from them. The Moderator "Ryan" is the store owner also and he knows his stuff. If all else fails, go there and get your info and buy at Best Buy.

As to Sirius, I've tried them, but I found that they replayed the same play lists all day. To me it was like FM radio without the commercials. I personally prefer XM

Old 11-25-2004, 08:09 PM
I have the Skyfi2 unit and am quite pleased with it. I know people who drive cross country with the unit and never change the FM channel. The Skyfi2 has a menu that allows you to change the FM channel simply if you do run into a conflict though. I highly recommend the unit to anyone.

Quick Reply: More XM Questions