Xm Antenna Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Xm Antenna Installation

I am thinkiing about installing XM radio in myF-250 SD but I don't want to mount the antenna on the roof where it can be stolen every time I turn around. Has anyone tried placing the antenna inside the vehicle on the middle / forward section of the dash diirectly under the window? Any comments would be appreciated.

Old 01-21-2004, 04:03 PM
antenna

Here is a great rescource for how to hide the antenna.

Trip

Old 01-21-2004, 04:17 PM
Have you had an experience with having them stolen. These antenna are wired and the only way for them to steal them is cut the wire and take it. Dont know if its possible or worth someones time to try to repair something like that.

As far as the other suggestion on putting it under the cowl
I tried it and the reception was really bad.

Alot of the antennas now are getting smaller so find a small one and paint it the same color of the truck.

Old 01-21-2004, 04:22 PM
I have to agree - I wouldn't think the antenna would be any good unless you got the entire thing, and that would mean pulling the wires out from inside the cab. I can tell you that could not happen on my truck - not the way I have it routed. I think you might be worrying about something that is not a problem.

Old 01-24-2004, 07:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Re: Xm Antenna Installation

Originally posted by STGCMTED
I am thinkiing about installing XM radio in myF-250 SD but I don't want to mount the antenna on the roof where it can be stolen every time I turn around. Has anyone tried placing the antenna inside the vehicle on the middle / forward section of the dash diirectly under the window? Any comments would be appreciated.
I had my original Sony "Sharkfin" antenna under the long oval shaped cover in the dash for 3 or 4 months. Worked fairly well, until I went to add my Autolamps. The module for the Autolamps was in the way, so...

I went and bought a Terk antenna (real small, but don't remember the model #) and put it under the cowl. It has been there for a year or so, and it works flawlessly.

Here's the thread I posted a few pics in to help anyone wanting to copy what I did:

Original XM Antenna Stealth Install Thread

Good luck !!!

brentswagon - What part of the country do you live in ? Did you install the antenna like I did, or did you put it somewhere else ? Did you use a different brand than I did ? (Terk)

I am just curious, because I have had ZERO reception problems with mine under the cowl.

Just curious, you know ??

Quick Reply: Xm Antenna Installation