TFT or LCD whats the diff? Good head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TFT or LCD whats the diff? Good head unit?

So I want to put visor mount screens in my L but I don't know the diif between LCD vs. TFT.
Just wondering I'll research these later I am more interested in this head unit
http://www.pioneerusa.com/pna/produc...etailComponent
Does this seem like a good starting point? It's on eBay for about $430.00
Let me say I do like Pioneer and would like to stick with them. Want the head unit first and to branch out from there, have 2 10" subs + amp right now but the new head says it has "hi-volt" preout is that bad for a 'regular amp?
If some one can point me to a good site or just advise thats way cool!
And I don't want to take it to a shop as I want to do every bit of work on my truck myself.
Thanks,

Old 01-12-2004, 08:47 PM
I am pretty sure I am correct. TFT means you can look at the screen from an angle. Some lcd's you can't look it them, but from straight forward to see them. The better screens are tft. I got my screen from these people. www.digitalww.com Hopefully I will finish that bracket so I can install it in a week or two. Hope this helps.

Old 01-14-2004, 10:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

TFT is an active display panel. It is brighter (and therefore more easily viewed) than a passive display panel.

TFT is a form of LCD. It stands for Thin Film Transistor and is the highest resolution of the LCD panel technologies. It employs up to 4 transistors for each pixel displayed. It is typically 2 to 3 times the cost of a passive display.

There have been advances made with passive LCD displays, such as CST (short for color super-twist) nematic, an LCD technology developed by Sharp Electronics Corporation. Unlike TFT, CSTN is based on a passive matrix, which is less expensive to produce. The original CSTN displays developed in the early 90's suffered from slow response times and ghosting. Recent advances in the technology, however, have made CSTN a viable alternative to active-matrix displays. New CSTN displays offer 100ms response times, a 140 degree viewing angle, and high-quality color rivaling TFT displays - all at about half the cost.

A newer passive-matrix technology called High-Performance Addressing (HPA) offers even better response times and contrast than CSTN.

Old 01-15-2004, 09:47 AM
Yes! After more research thats kinda what I thought, but you explained it perfectly! Thanks for the info!

Old 01-17-2004, 11:10 PM
So all of these unit's Pioneer DVH-P7000
http://www.pioneerusa.com/pna/produc...etailComponent
Seem to be factory refubished on eBay. Is that OK? I would like new but it's twice the price!About $430 Vs. about 1K! Also what about those "Hi-Volt" pre outs? Will that fry my little Poenix Gold amp? Thanks for the help on the TFT Vs. LCD once I kinda knew what to look for it all made sense.

Old 01-18-2004, 12:25 AM
Yes, don't worry about the hi-volt outputs they will match up to any amp. As far as refurb stuff, again you pretty much don't have to worry. They are typically offered with 1 year warranty as well so be sure that you get the waranty with it. Some of the B stock as they like to call it is just simply something that has been returned because the package has been opened. They then test the return for full functionality, repackage it and sell it as refurb a.k.a B-stock.

In short I would not be concerned with it being a refurb unit provided that you have a legitimate waranty with a legitimate company standing behind that waranty. Sometimes you find that many of the ebay sellers are selling products unauthorized which therefore leaves you at their mercy when it comes to waranting faulty equipment. Just be sure you have a clear understanding in writing up front in case you have a problem.

Quick Reply: TFT or LCD whats the diff? Good head unit?