Lightning stereo upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightning stereo upgrade...

Well the previous owner of my L somehow managed to soak the guts of the stock stereo with soda (RDS, auto scan & auto preset buttons started getting stuck "on" all the time & it kept trying to eject a non existent tape with the power off which would kill the battery in about 6 hours,) so I GUESS it's time for me to go ahead & upgrade the entire sound system.

I have a 6.5" component set on hand ( Audiobahn ABC6003Q ) that I was planning to install in my Turbo Buick, but have decided to go ahead and use in the Lightning if it won't be too big a hassle. The set has 6.5 & 4 woofers and a 25mm tweeter so I was thinking I could put the 6.5 in the stock door "slot" with an adapter & then mount the 4 & tweet in a q-forms kick panel pod.

This is about as far as I gotten with any "concrete" plans for this system, so if anyone has suggestions on head units, rear speakers, amps & subwoofers PLEASE let me know!

Doug C.

Old 08-26-2003, 06:19 AM
Exactly what kind of sound are you going for? Just loud and powerful hear you coming from around the block.. or simply accurate and great sounding just inside the truck?

What is your budget?

Old 08-29-2003, 07:58 AM
Definately more concerned with QUALITY sound over versus boomy-boom loud. I used to work in the autosound field (~10 years ago, wow I'm getting old) but haven't really kept up to date with it for a while.

From the "casual" research I did a few months ago for the system I had been planning for my Turbo Regal & talking with friends who are still active in the mobile audio biz I'm leaning toward Audiobahn speakers and sub/s (was really impressed with their stuff in my buddy's Durango install) & good 'ol HiFonics amp/s.

Budget is undecided, somewhere above Audiovox throw & go speacial at Wal-Mart & below IASCA top notch contender.

Doug C.

Old 08-30-2003, 08:44 AM
Anyone.......

anyone????

Bueller?!?

Old 08-30-2003, 04:06 PM
Diamond Audio D7 amps

Alpine, Pionner Premier, Eclipse, headunits.

Old 09-04-2003, 08:44 PM
OK the upgrade is underway!!! Gor a great "package" deal on a Pioneer headunit (DEH-P7500MP) & XM brain (GEX-P910XM ) / antenna. Got the stereo installed this afternoon & the brain for the XM radio is in place as well. I've had good luck with Pioneer stuff in the past so went ahead and took the plunge... it has really woken up those anemic stock 6x8"s!

Holding off on the antenna install until I have time to tackle getting the interior panels pulled loose. Had a couple of people suggest that I install the antenna on the dash... anyone done this? Works OK? Reception affected at all?

Doug C.

Old 09-04-2003, 09:20 PM
I just finished installing a new Alpine cd-player with some new Alpine type S speakers. I installed the cd-player first while I waited for the speakers to come in. The addition of the speakers improved the sound, particularly at higher volumes. I got them off of ebay for close to 140 for the pair. I think that they are probably still on. A lot of people like the infinity's. I have heard those too and I think that they are nice also.

Quick Reply: Lightning stereo upgrade...