What else can I add without voiding warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What else can I add without voiding warranty?

I have added the chip which is undetectable if removed before the truck goes into service but what else can I add that will not void the warranty to soup up performance?

Old 11-09-2001, 07:17 PM
You should get familiar with the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act if you plan on putting modifications on a warranteed vehicle.

Basically you can do anything and the burden is on the manufacturer to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure of the warranteed part.

Also it is worth noting that aftermarket parts will have their own warrantees, but are not warranteed under the vehicle manufacturer's warrantee; IE if you buy Flowmasters, Ford is not going to cover them if they fall apart but Flowmaster should.

Of course it is not that simple and there are caveats regarding the use of common sense in modifying your warranteed vehicle that you should keep in mind.

If your wallet is deep then you should not have to worry about it at all, whereas I am still debating putting a Procharger on my truck due to possible down the road issues... That and I hate gambling...

Last edited by Nonsequitur; 11-09-2001 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-10-2001, 02:42 AM
You should read Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act to understand what exactly it does and does not cover.

Since you have a new truck it's probably a good idea to hold off on performance mods until you're certain you didn't get a lemon.

The potential problem is that Ford can deny warranty claims and you would either have go to court or arbitration to resolve it.

Under the Act a Superchip will not void the warranty (even though Ford says it does) because Ford offers its own performance chip and the Act protects consumers from unfair business practices such as requiring only OEM parts.

Use common sense. A K&N air filter will not void your engine warranty but has the potention to create a headache if your MAF sensor is fouled and needs to be replaced and they see you're not using the stock filter.

Quick Reply: What else can I add without voiding warranty?