Aftermarket Spray Lining Applications Complaints

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Spray Lining Applications Complaints

Has anyone else driven down an industrial park road and smelled that undeniably potent smell of epoxy, or other 2 part urethane liquids? It's like a sweet but noxious scent. I have repaired my share of boat interiors and surfboards which is why the smell is pleasant in my mind. However, I believe this is the smell of caustic and unsafe materials being released into the air. I drive by one bed liner company here and constantly smell this odor. I am not sure if they are using polyurea hybrid or polyurethane because they are a no name body shops that just uses some materials.

I guess I will ask someday. So, the complaints are increasing among the people that live near Melbourne. Whether it's Line-X, Vortex, Spray-Lining, Herculiner, whatever, doesn't really matter. All, I now is that if you read wikipedia or other sites about these chemicals there are major concerns about the impact on people and wildlife caused from spraylining a truck bed with any material. It concerns me because the auto industry is getting more enthusiastic about these spray bed liner applications for things like Jeeps, outsides of vehicles, boats, etc..... But, if precautions are not taken, then we will wind up with yet another over used, over abused industry full of problems and negative impacts on local environments. Yes, this is important to ME! So, I think we should be talking about the safety and green solutions for technical bed liner applications.

I think we should discuss:
- Complaints about spray bed liner materials from the applicator
- Issues with different materials, specifically isocyanate exposure from polyurea or urethanes
- Local industry issues

Old 12-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I had my bumper done with Line-X it dried almost instantly .... not much of a smell in the shop either.

So it's bad that I was sniffing the bumper after it was sprayed because I liked the smell

Old 12-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ha ha... someone might definitely question your motives. So, maybe the complaints are because of spraying a 2 part that has some sort of thinner in it. I have heard of that with some polyurethanes because there is not enough viscosity.... Using lacquer thinner maybe. But, that smells nothing like the 2 part urethanes.

Now I think that Line-X is pure polyurea or a mostly polyurea. That's a lot different than a polyurethane. So, maybe what I have noticed is from cheaper products. Still the primary reason for this thread is that the misuse of any of these chemicals that have VOCs is BAD BAD BAD. So, if it's happening it needs to STOP sooner than later. In my humble opinion.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Spray Lining Applications Complaints