Last Post About E-Fans (Hopefully)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 01:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last Post About E-Fans (Hopefully)

Sorry for the new post I have a new question, and I know if I post in my old thread it would just get lost in the mix up.

So I think I'm set on doing this mod to my truck finally.

I am going with the Flex-a-Lite 270 kit

and

Painless 30140 as soon as the new design is available.

I have a couple questions before I am done, and ready.

I have read a few times that adding e-fans makes the tranny run a little warmer than usual? Is this true?

Also I have a trans cooler, just a radiator with fins. No axillary fan on it.

Will it warm up enough for me to be concerned?

Also aside from the 270 kit and Painless 30140 will I need anything else to complete my e-fan install?

Final question will my truck be cooled enough living here in SoCal (gets pretty warm during the summer) I tow occasionally and go to the desert/long drives.

Thanks everyone for the help on this forum. I can't wait to get this mod done to my truck.

And sorry for another thread.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I've noticed an increase in trans temps after I installed my efan. I'm having a hard time putting an actual number to the increase, mainly because I installed the efan shortly after the trans temp gauge so pre-efan data is a little weak. My truck also has the factory aux. trans cooler.

Efan should make no difference in "normal" highway driving. At some point (approx 35 mph?), the air forced in by the vehicle speed overcomes any effect the fan could have. I recently made a trip to Palmdale, 400 miles and my fan came on once for about 30 sec. idling at a stoplight in Mojave. Towing a heavy load up a steep grade at slow speeds on a hot day w/ the AC on is a whole other story

I'm very happy w/ my efan system (Mk VIII fan/ DCC var. speed controller), but I'll freely admit I have yet to test it in conditions where the cooling system is really stressed.

BTW, this can't be your last efan post ... you have to post pics of your install

Last edited by fairlaner; 03-22-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Just add a pair of SPAL fans to the aux tranny cooler (with a SPAL temp sensor in the tranny test port). Add manual overrides and yer golden.
==> https://www.f150online.com/forums/pa...ans-relay.html

IMHO - y'all were better off with Derale Tornado 16"ers from TP or elsewhere. FAR better fans than the FAL in every respect. FAL are vastly overrated in my book; you'd understand if you saw them side-by-side. Simply no comparison.

The Mark VIII is a tremendous fan as well - and for what they cost you could easily pick up a spare (or two).

DCControl's new controllers are da bomob as well, just sayin'. And available now ( or real soon, lol).

Good luck - don't let ol' Bubba sway ya now, y'hear?

Remember - it's ALL in the quality of the installation - a great set of components done with lamp cord, duct tape &twisted & taped connections will become a nightmare in short order. You are striving for Reliability.

Fairlaner is the standard-bearer in this regard.

OP - I sense another post comin'!

Last edited by MGDfan; 03-22-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:33 PM
I'll look into the SPAL fans for my aux tranny cooler.

Also about your Mark VIII fans, my local pick your part is having 50% off in April so I'll have to head down there and see if I can find some fans for super cheap.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by MGDfan

Remember - it's ALL in the quality of the installation - a great set of components done with lamp cord, duct tape &twisted & taped connections will become a nightmare in short order. You are striving for Reliability.

Fairlaner is the standard-bearer in this regard.
I 100% agree w/ the first statement. The second one ... I'm not so sure, but thanks!

Old 03-23-2012, 10:10 PM
Don't want to hijack your thread but my 97 XL did not come with aux transmission cooler and I want to add one before I do my fan mod. Can I duplicate the factory setup. My truck is 97 XL standard Cab 4.2L V6 4.2.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:09 AM
Question about the Mark viii fans.

If I come across some at the junk yard I'm hoping to grab at least 2.

How many are mounted to use on a F150 just one or two?

Also I see people using other brands like Zirgo or Derale fans, and when I check their website they only sell one 16" fan at a time. Does our F150 need 2 16" fans or will 1 16" fan suffice? Cause I see the FAL 270 or TP's E-fan kit come with 2.

Last edited by |SoCal|Screw; 03-25-2012 at 02:12 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 03-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Derale Tornado fans are awesome!!! FYI, that's all the Troyer kit is; 2 16" Derale Tornado's. Yes, one of those will do the job, but only under the most normal of circumstances. If you have the stock radiator, you'd want two for towing/hauling in traffic or A/C on any really hot days. Two 16" Derales fit the face of the radiator pretty darn good.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:48 AM

The Mk VIII fan is an 18" fan ... only one required on an F-150.

Pic of one mounted into a stock 4.2 shroud ...

Old 03-25-2012, 03:14 PM
oh ok sweet thanks.

whats the estimated cfm on a mark viii fan?

Old 03-25-2012, 05:49 PM

I just installed the 270 kit and a new larger 2 row radiator From summit. Everything works perfect and when the fans come on it sounds like a small hurricane...lol
It took about 4 hours for the radiator swap and all the wiring. I bought split loom cheap on ebay to clean it all up nice. the flexalite 270 kit has a 60% @ 3300 CFM
and if it gets 10 degrees hotter it goes to 100% and 5500 CFM. I wired up a manual over ride switch which is just T-Taped into a single wire temp switch. With the
larger radiator the fans have only came on once via the radiator probe temp. I used a laser infrared temp probe to set the temp for the probe.

Last edited by 01 gt f150; 03-25-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That much air with that radiator (I have the same one from the looks of it) it'll probably never run above 60%!!!! Nothing's better than overkill!!

Old 03-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Except that, with the typical FAL correction factor for BS...

@ 0 mm H2O pressure drop = ~5500 cfm (calculated)

@ 15+ mm H2O pressure drop = 2200 cfm ( real-world, installed against a fan and A/C condenser for a load ) TOTAL for BOTH fans

In other words, Marketing and deceit (a.k.a Maskirovka) trumps intellect .. again.

FAL fans should be banned for Public Deception Total junk.

Wanna see a REAL fan? With real-world specs and NOTHING to hide?

Go here : http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.as...&item=30102803

Specs: http://www.spalusa.com/pdf/30102803_SPEC.PDF#view=FitH

Notice anything? You should, lol.

Last edited by MGDfan; 03-26-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: oops - mm instead of inches, lol
Old 03-26-2012, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
Except that, with the typical FAL correction factor for BS...

@ 0 inches pressure drop = ~5500 cfm (calculated)

@ 15" H2O pressure drop = 2200 cfm ( real-world, installed against a fan and A/C condenser for a load ) TOTAL for BOTH fans

In other words, Marketing and deceit (a.k.a Maskirovka) trumps intellect .. again.

FAL fans should be banned for Public Deception Total junk.

Wanna see a REAL fan? With real-world specs and NOTHING to hide?

Go here : http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.as...&item=30102803

Specs: http://www.spalusa.com/pdf/30102803_SPEC.PDF#view=FitH

Notice anything? You should, lol.
I had those before and IMHO they are crap. They didn't last long and draw more power with less CFM. When these turn on the air flow into the engine compartment is more than double. That is my experience and the reason I got these fans. Initial quality, CFM "real world" meaning actual use on MY truck which is hands down better and looks better as well. we all have brand loyalty... me on the other hand go with hands on experience and use.

Quick Reply: Last Post About E-Fans (Hopefully)