HELP!?!?!? Performance Sparkplugs 2008 F-150 5.4 w/ OEM redesigned heads

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!?!?!? Performance Sparkplugs 2008 F-150 5.4 w/ OEM redesigned heads

A few weeks ago i went and bought 2 sets E3's (E3.70 to be exact) of for my uncles 07' and my 08' f-150's both with the 5.4L V8. (Yes i was gonna bite the bullet and change the dreaded OEM spark plugs that everyone is scared off) My uncle works at a ford dealership so we made a deal that if we broke some of my sparkplugs or his we would help eachother out to get the broke plugs out since he has all the tools. Well long story short my coil pack boots where brown and his where black which meant mine where a different since and WAY SMALLER than the older OEM. I went on and called E3 and they said they where sorry but they have still not made a replacement for a motor that has been out going on 3 yrs.

Okay i need help guys i'm wanting to change out the OEM's for a performance spark plug. I've been looking at the Bosch Platinum +4 or the Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion, but i can't really find a difference. I'm thinking the +4 is the best one out there, but i can't find any info or ACTUALLY models #'s for my engine which is with the new remade heads w/ smaller spark plugs. (at least there a one piece..haha)

Do you guys know the model # or better spark plugs with actually data backing it up.

Thanks in advance for your info

Old 11-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by huron_robert
A few weeks ago i went and bought 2 sets E3's (E3.70 to be exact) of for my uncles 07' and my 08' f-150's both with the 5.4L V8. (Yes i was gonna bite the bullet and change the dreaded OEM spark plugs that everyone is scared off) My uncle works at a ford dealership so we made a deal that if we broke some of my sparkplugs or his we would help eachother out to get the broke plugs out since he has all the tools. Well long story short my coil pack boots where brown and his where black which meant mine where a different since and WAY SMALLER than the older OEM. I went on and called E3 and they said they where sorry but they have still not made a replacement for a motor that has been out going on 3 yrs.

Okay i need help guys i'm wanting to change out the OEM's for a performance spark plug. I've been looking at the Bosch Platinum +4 or the Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion, but i can't really find a difference. I'm thinking the +4 is the best one out there, but i can't find any info or ACTUALLY models #'s for my engine which is with the new remade heads w/ smaller spark plugs. (at least there a one piece..haha)

Do you guys know the model # or better spark plugs with actually data backing it up.

The OEMMotorcraft part IS a performance spark plug!!!

Stay away from Bosch in a modular. Period.

If you insist - go to Denso's website and try to find a parts match for their Iridium plugs. These are the best there is - but quite pricey.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-01-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
You will not find a better performing plug for your engine, than the Motorcraft.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Look your not going to tell me that motorcraft with there (excuse my language), but there design with a cross bar over the plug to re-direct the combustion off the head to the side walls in lieu of EVERYONE'S new design that has been going on for years to fire directly on the head. So please i know everyone here is trying to stay on the motorcraft bandwagon, but we are going on a month with my uncles running the E3's and his response is soo much better with better starts and YES he is getting better gas mileage. so "no, no, no" don't play that motorcraft is the best and is the only way to go. I'm asking for actually help from guys out there who enduring the same issue's im going thru and wanting a better product.

Once again thanks in advnace

Last edited by Bluejay; 11-01-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: watch the language, please
Old 11-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Look your not going to tell me that motorcraft with there (excuse my language), but there design with a cross bar over the plug to re-direct the combustion off the head to the side walls in lieu of EVERYONE'S new design that has been going on for years to fire directly on the head. So please i know everyone here is trying to stay on the motorcraft bandwagon, but we are going on a month with my uncles running the E3's and his response is soo much better with better starts and YES he is getting better gas mileage. so "no, no, no" don't play that motorcraft is the best and is the only way to go. I'm asking for actually help from guys out there who enduring the same issue's im going thru and wanting a better product.

Once again thanks in advnace
Here are yer choices in a premium Double-Platinum fine-wire plug ( you'll have to go find the Denso Iridium part yerself ):

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1533310

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1309972

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2347190

As for yer 'crossbar' comment, I don't know WTF you are talking about. The above plugs look 'normal' to me.

From Rock Auto - 2008 F150 5.4L listings.

MGD

Last edited by Bluejay; 11-01-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: edited the quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:23 AM
http://media.photobucket.com/image/o...parkplugs1.jpg

Aparently you've never taken out your old sparkplugs. here a link to see these never heard or seen cross bar sparkplugs

Old 11-01-2010, 11:27 AM

Aparently you've never taken out your old sparkplugs. here a link to see these never heard or seen cross bar sparkplugs

*sigh*

Don't be naive - I pulled mine @ 1,000 miles to apply anti-sieze ( a 2006 5.4), to prevent separation later on.

The CONTEXT is: we were discussing YOUR 2008 plugs.

The design of the previous MY plugs is completely irrelevant to the plugs in scope here - which for your truck are the more traditional design. And has no bearing on the suitablility or performance of the plugs I listed for yer truck.

I'm done here - you are obviously already answering yer own questions. Are you looking in a mirror?

Good luck dealing with Jbrew

MGD

Trending Topics

Old 11-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Pulled my original plugs at 65,500 due to the breakage scare. It was running perfectly. None broke. Went back with Motorcrafts and now have 44,000 on the second set. Still runs strong and smooth.

You accuse us of not knowing anything of which we speak, but if I had a 2008 with brown boots, I would know I had the redesigned heads. You asked for opinions and got a couple. If you don't want them, don't post a question.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
*sigh*

I'm done here - you are obviously already answering yer own questions. Are you looking in a mirror?

Good luck dealing with Jbrew

MGD
This is great, 13 posts and huron_robert is telling us

Well, one good thing, - if they didn't come here for a better education, -their usually not around long.

This guys like, preaching, - I think he really believes what he's spewing.

Yea, don't waste your time fellas, - the majority seeking help on this site actually want to learn. Which of course makes them worthy and a pleasure giving them a hand.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:31 PM
My orginal posting to ask for help for a performance spark plug and i got deferred to a OEM replacement. I am asking for help for NEW "Performance" replacements. I.E. i just got off the phone with E3 and they are saying that the 5.4L 3V engine's that come out in all F-series trucks, Expeditions, and Econo vans w/ the new redesigned heads that come with the smaller spark plugs. Are now going to soft release by saying they will be making by early 2011. They said since no one has a Performance spark plug out there for a engine that has been out for quite a long time it is up to them to push it and get into this untapped market.

and as for a "better education" stand point. I'm come to website for this exact point of you guys. i'd thought since we all have the same motors pretty much here. that the gentlemen that give advice would of thought or presued this issue a long time ago, and called E3 as i did for some sort of insite. Maybe its childish of myself to think this is all your guys do all day. im pretty sure you have day jobs like myself. but its just crazy for me to believe that guys like yourself that have be "educating" on this website for quite some time now have never came across this intel which took me 15 mins to acquire. look i know motorcraft and champion are too date the only manufacture to have OEM replacements, but what is not what i was looking for

The whole root of my posting was to find a good spark plug that is way more aggresive than the orginal 1 prong contactor. E3 has 3 prongs, and Bosch have 2 and 4 prongs, but E3 is the only company that is closer to having a OEM replacemtn for the 5.4L. Reason why i know is because i also call Bosch to confirm.

There i've exhaust my effort to ask for help, I hope you understand my lil fustration, but i'm just merely trying to get the best and newest products to get my truck running true and stronger than ever and not just a OEM replacement

Old 11-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
and as for a "better education" stand point. I'm come to website for this exact point of you guys. i'd thought since we all have the same motors pretty much here. that the gentlemen that give advice would of thought or presued this issue a long time ago, and called E3 as i did for some sort of insite. Maybe its childish of myself to think this is all your guys do all day. im pretty sure you have day jobs like myself. but its just crazy for me to believe that guys like yourself that have be "educating" on this website for quite some time now have never came across this intel which took me 15 mins to acquire. look i know motorcraft and champion are too date the only manufacture to have OEM replacements.
E3's have been disgusted to death. {bite me , it makes sense to me }. And hey, I could dial E3's Hot line and get that kind of crap anytime. Of course their going to paint you a pretty picture. Marketing trick, - you fell for it, - now your working for them, - free.

Your Intel blows, - You referring to Federal Mogul having an OEM replacement plug isn't entirely correct. Their still attempting it (more like it), - the past isn't on their side and besides, - your missing something. Think.

The Intelligent move, IMO, would be to lock yourself up, -along with search bar in an empty room, -yea, locked from the outside and NO PHONE. - I mean common, you can't list the plug options for the 3 valve ? Search man.

You can fill those empty brain cells allot quicker, if you just ask questions and NOT try to tell us how it is... Seriously, - give it up.....

Good luck, and stuff.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:38 PM
rjp
My orginal posting to ask for help for a performance spark plug and i got deferred to a OEM replacement. I am asking for help for NEW "Performance" replacements. I.E. i just got off the phone with E3 and they are saying that the 5.4L 3V engine's that come out in all F-series trucks, Expeditions, and Econo vans w/ the new redesigned heads that come with the smaller spark plugs. Are now going to soft release by saying they will be making by early 2011. They said since no one has a Performance spark plug out there for a engine that has been out for quite a long time it is up to them to push it and get into this untapped market.

and as for a "better education" stand point. I'm come to website for this exact point of you guys. i'd thought since we all have the same motors pretty much here. that the gentlemen that give advice would of thought or presued this issue a long time ago, and called E3 as i did for some sort of insite. Maybe its childish of myself to think this is all your guys do all day. im pretty sure you have day jobs like myself. but its just crazy for me to believe that guys like yourself that have be "educating" on this website for quite some time now have never came across this intel which took me 15 mins to acquire. look i know motorcraft and champion are too date the only manufacture to have OEM replacements, but what is not what i was looking for

The whole root of my posting was to find a good spark plug that is way more aggresive than the orginal 1 prong contactor. E3 has 3 prongs, and Bosch have 2 and 4 prongs, but E3 is the only company that is closer to having a OEM replacemtn for the 5.4L. Reason why i know is because i also call Bosch to confirm.

There i've exhaust my effort to ask for help, I hope you understand my lil fustration, but i'm just merely trying to get the best and newest products to get my truck running true and stronger than ever and not just a OEM replacement
READ post # 2 AND #3. Repeat if necessary!

Old 11-01-2010, 09:53 PM

Save your time and money, you already have the best plugs available for your engine, they are long-life fine-wire iridium made by NGK.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:48 PM
A performance spark plug is pretty much an anecdote to anyone who has the SLIGHTEST clue of how the internal combustion engine works man. The only performance gain you will see is in the weight reduction to your wallet.

If you are in a turbo/nitrous application, you go colder to stave off detonation, if you have good gas and high compression, you go hotter to ignite the more stable higher octane fuel.

Other than those two (basic explanation by the way) there is NO gain to be had from changing spark plugs other than a placebo effect. I spent years working on hotrods, years with a dyno, and years testing more combinations than you've ever dreamed of because that was how we made a living. You will see NO gains from a plug change in a stock motor and only gains with increased tuning flexibility in a FI or high compression application. Save that cash for something else or spend it, it makes no difference to me. I used to make a good amount of money off of guys like you who refused to listen to people who knew because their uncles brothers dogs litter mates new owner who picked him up from the pound last week put some split fires and an acell coil in an 87 Iroc and ran 10's on C16 with an otherwise stock motor..................

Old 11-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no "performance" plug for your truck.

Quick Reply: HELP!?!?!? Performance Sparkplugs 2008 F-150 5.4 w/ OEM redesigned heads