Which Optima Battery To Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Titan357
so, its about time for me to buy a new battery, and it seems like I have no idea what I want/need.

Cold weather is coming, and I don't want to be left stranded.

Thoughts?
Not to bash any one battery, but check out Odyssey batteries: Odyssey Battery Home

Sears rebranded several of the Odyssey batteries into their DieHard Platinum line so you can do some creative cross-referencing between the two sites. I am big fan of these AGM (vs. lead acid) batteries and have one in my truck and the marine battery in my boat. They crank hard EVERY time, especially the boat even after sitting for months. In my opinion, it's worth investigating...

Old 03-04-2014, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Yellowtop D31a and the Bluetop D31m are the same CCA and CA so why wouldn't I want to use the Bluetop? Same reserve capacity too. And I like that the bluetops have the separate 5/16" studs for ring terminals. I'd use those studs a lot for my amp/HID/new grounds/alternator power supply. As far as I see they're the same battery besides the fact that the Bluetops can handle more abuse of being bounced around. Thoughts anyone? Opinions would be appreciated.

Last edited by rush4ever1; 03-04-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:34 PM
Former Sponsor
What application would you be using this battery in? Internally, the batteries are identical and both have the same vibration resistance. BlueTops tend to cost a little more, but they do have the additional terminals.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries

Old 03-05-2014, 03:57 PM
I love Optimas! One of the first things I do when i get i new car is pull what ever battery is in it and install a optima. All three of my cars now have red tops. My motor home has three blue tops and two of which are over 11 years old and still going strong. I think one of them is 14 years old because its from my first car.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:22 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
OptimaJim said:
Many of the “bad” batteries returned to us now are just deeply-discharged and work fine, when properly recharged. Many battery chargers will not recognize or charge any battery that has been discharged below 10.5 volts. Optimas can be recharged with such chargers, by using the parallel charging technique explained in this video-

If you have any other questions about our batteries, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

I have a 4 YO dead yellow top battery. Tell me the secret charging method to bring it back to life! IMO Optimas are now J U N K! And they have been ever since Johnson Controls took them over! They're also insanely over priced! There are plenty of people on every car forum on the net that would agree! But tell me how to recharge it and I'll try it and post my results here!

Old 03-06-2014, 03:29 PM
Former Sponsor
I apologize for the dead link joe51. This thread is coming up on four years old now and we've actually filmed new videos since this thread was started, which replaced the old ones. Here's the new version-

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries

Quick Reply: Which Optima Battery To Buy?