Additional lighting - night driving in mountains

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks again

Originally Posted by Glen R
Did you get the light bar? How does installation look? Does it require a lot of work to install?
I am picking up the N-Bar light bar in the freight room of my high rise today - and will let you know when I get it installed. The N-Bar folks accidentally started off shipping it to the wrong address, but they were great about re-routing it and super helpful over the phone. It arrived Friday but I had a trip between now and then and no time to mess with it.....

And - thanks to the other folks about the nifty grille; sadly not an option. I really love how they overbuilt my '97, but it sure took some time (understandably) for our friends in the accesory world to catch up.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:07 AM
Aftermarket fog lights in stock grill

I am near purchasing a 2010 SCrew XLT but no fog lamps. Like DR Devon, I am mountain driving between Whistler BC and Pemberton going to early morning work, etc. I really feel that the fog lamps are beneficial in our area. The truck I speced is unavailable with fog lamps unless I spend an extra $2,000. bucks for an XTR package with the fog lamps, but I can't justify the cost for all that chrome and bigger wheels.

Anybody ever cut into the stock XLT bumper with a hole saw and fabed up brackets to hold an aftermarket lamp there, giving a near stock look ??

Also, if driving lights are placed behind the grill, are there any heat issues from the lights behind all that plastic or are you only running them when moving/ airflow keeping things cool??

Old 01-28-2010, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by Pro Groomer
I am near purchasing a 2010 SCrew XLT but no fog lamps. Like DR Devon, I am mountain driving between Whistler BC and Pemberton going to early morning work, etc. I really feel that the fog lamps are beneficial in our area. The truck I speced is unavailable with fog lamps unless I spend an extra $2,000. bucks for an XTR package with the fog lamps, but I can't justify the cost for all that chrome and bigger wheels.

Anybody ever cut into the stock XLT bumper with a hole saw and fabed up brackets to hold an aftermarket lamp there, giving a near stock look ??

Also, if driving lights are placed behind the grill, are there any heat issues from the lights behind all that plastic or are you only running them when moving/ airflow keeping things cool??
i wouldn't thing cutting the stock bumper would be an option since the edges of the cut wouldn't be rolled like the factory ones and the mounting holes aren't there.
you could run up to four lights behind the grille and i don't think heat is an issue just don't leave them on for like hours while sitting still.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by orson.octavius
I have been told that most heat pads for reptiles don't have any dimming capabilities. It's either on or off. In fact, if you read the instructions on most of them, it will tell you not to hook them up to a dimmer. I would just turn the lights off at night. If you are in a warm environment, you shouldn't need any type of heat lamps or lighting anyways. A heat pad should be sufficient.
You must be lost, are you sure you signed into the right forum?

- NCSU

Old 01-28-2010, 11:30 AM
^^ umm lol yeah i think he is

Old 01-29-2010, 11:53 AM
OK - it's installed (pics next week - traveling later today) and looks great! the pair of PIAA 525 lights definitely throw great beams and it's a low-profile installation. A hole saw was used to cut through the bumper, and Northwest Auto Accessories in Portland ( http://www.nwautoaccessories.com/ ) installed the N-Bar they did not sell me for $50... pretty nice. They also installed the pair of PIAA lights in the center 2 of the 4 holes on the N-Bar and recommend down-hanging fog lights in the other holes if I add on.

Should try them on Mt. Hood in a week or so.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:01 AM
Originally Posted by Glen R
Did you get the light bar? How does installation look? Does it require a lot of work to install?
Sorry man, family life is hectic. Have a little one on the way and two jobs doesn't give ya much free time. No I didn't get the light bar, I mounted them on the plastic (with metal underneath it) bar that runs behind the grill. I've gotta wash the truck this weekend and I'll have pics up of it. LOTS of snow/ice in Oklahoma this year lol

Old 02-15-2010, 06:30 PM
here it is

Here's the N-Bar light bar holding a pair of PIAA 525 lights. I have to admit they reall light up the night - did night skiing last weekend and heading down the mountain after 9pm was no problem:

There's room for 2 more lights (one each side outside the PIAAs) and I am debating getting a pair of down-hanging fog lamps. Northwest Accessories herer in Portland said installing the N-Bar was easy and I think they did a smooth job.

Last edited by DrDevon; 02-16-2010 at 12:58 AM. Reason: photo bonked
Old 02-15-2010, 06:49 PM

dang it I can't see the photo ?

Old 02-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No joy here either.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Same here no pic

Old 02-16-2010, 12:59 AM
sorry!

Tried a different picture host - hope this one works. The lights are pretty low profile and work very, very well. Thanks for all the input, folks!

Old 02-16-2010, 01:01 AM
Technical Article Contributor

looks good man. id say put two more lights on there but on a separate switch so they can be run as fogs like mine

Old 02-16-2010, 01:17 AM
My name is Devon....:o

Old 02-16-2010, 06:18 AM
Looks good.

Quick Reply: Additional lighting - night driving in mountains