Amp Research Power Step trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 12:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amp Research Power Step trouble

Hey guys,

My 06 FX4 Screw came with the amp steps already installed but now one side is not working. I am trying to diagnose the trouble and the amp website says its either a connection problem or a bad diode.

Now looking at their install instructions for the F150 it does not show any diodes being installed so I am not sure thats it.... So I started to look into connection issues. I pulled the rear sill plate and took a look at the wiring, which looks like it was done differently from the directions. Connections are crimped in, instead of using the posilocks and there are 4 short wires with small diodes installed.... All my door ajar lights work properly too.

Can anyone who has these pop that sill plate and post a picture of what the wiring should look like? This way I can compare. I have tuesday off so I want to spend some time working on this if possible.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Remove the harness to the step motor not working. Check for power a the plug. The + and - alternates for the up down function. That would be my first move. Your 05 might not need the diodes as it was an issue with later models.

Last edited by Davespeed; 04-06-2009 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling.....
Old 04-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Do you have the new or old computer "brain"? Not sure if that affects the wiring.

- NCSU

Old 04-07-2009, 12:56 AM
I will check the plug tomorrow with the test light. I assume you just touch the 2 hot wires and open the door to see if there is power right?

Its weird because one side works and the other doesnt...

Hopefully I will know more tomorrow.

Also whats the difference between the brains? Like I said the truck came with them so I am not sure how old it is...

Old 04-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Not sure what the problem was but it is now working.

I tested and found power to the step both openeing and closing the door so I talked to amp-research and they said I would need to order a new motor. After getting off the phone with them, I went outside to remove the existing motor (3 allen bolts) and once I did that, the step dropped down. I then opened the door with the motor off and found that it worked. Put it all back together and everything works fine now.

I am thinking that either something was caught in the linkage for the step or the gear was stuck somehow. I believe I read somewhere that if these feel resistance they will not deply so you cant get your hand caught in them or have them come down onto a rock etc...

Old 04-19-2009, 09:46 PM
Just as an FYI to the difference between the brains for these, the new brain is long and narrow where the old brain is more square and a little bulky, the old brain does require the diodes to be wired in. I had to have them email me the instructions as I couldn't find them on line anywhere.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:26 PM
There are also apparently 2 different motor types. White and black. To tell which one you have look where the plugs connect at a plastic piece with 3 bolts going through that looks like a wheel.

Quick Reply: Amp Research Power Step trouble