Rolltop Tonneau

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2001, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How easy are the main housings for the Retrax covers to remove? I want to carry motorcycles in the back of my SuperCrew, and the extra room taken up by the Retrax housing might force me to put more weight on the tailgate than I'd like. But, I'm not going to be carrying them all the time, so if I can remove the main housing easily (no need to remove the rails unless they have to come off before the housing comes off), this wouldn't be a big deal. Anyone tried taking theirs off? Alternatively, how easy is the P-E to remove?

-- Jim

Old 02-19-2001, 09:18 AM
There is no "tailgate piece" for the RETRAX. The cover pulls back far enough so that the edge overlaps the top of the tailgate slightly (flush with the flat top edge of the tailgate). The rails and canister fit together as one piece with clamps on the rails. With one person helping (could do it myself, but would hate to drop it or scratch my rig) I can take the top off in 10 minutes with a ratchet and socket.

------------------
99 XLT 5.4L SC 4x4 ORP Wedgewood Waldoch - 3.73LS, grey/blue leather, wood dash and door inserts, Lund Deflector, Trenz Billet Antennae, Clear Corner Lenses, Line-X Bedliner, Retrax Bed Cover

1977 1/2 F250 4x4 "Low Boy" 400-4spd

Old 02-19-2001, 11:51 AM
Smile

That's great, thanks! The Line-X of NH guys also sell covers, maybe they'll get one for me and throw it on while I'm there getting the liner next Saturday. :-)

-- Jim

Old 02-19-2001, 05:44 PM
RagArm, The Retrax was just over $900 delivered to my door about a year ago. Slightly more than the Pace Edwards... but PE does not make a cover for the flairside.

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat SC Flareside ORP, Chestnut w/Arizona Beige two-tone; 5.4L, 3.55LS; 4wDisc-ABS; Remote Keyless Entry; Factory 6-Pack CD changer; Signal Mirrors; Rear Sliding Window; Ford Duraliner; Retrax Roll-top Cover; Flowmaster 70 Series Dual Exhaust; Cold AirBox Mod; Foglite mod; Tinted windows; VentVisors

Old 02-21-2001, 09:41 AM
Lightbulb

FYI -- just found this info on Retrax installation. Check it out...

http://www.ford-diesel.com/contents/...%20Bed%20Cover

------------------
Loose Moose II

'01 F-150 Wedgewood Blue SuperCab XLT
5.4L, 4X4, SB, 3.55LS

Old 02-21-2001, 05:13 PM
Cool

The difference in price is definitly worth it. I've had a buddy that bought a PE shortly before I bought my Retrax and he has already had some problems with his Pace Edwards cover. My Retrax has worked out great and looks sweet on the truck.

------------------
2001 FORD SCREW XLT
WHITE, 5.4L, TOWING PKG
KEYLESS ENTRY, RETRAX COVER

Old 03-08-2001, 04:30 PM
Question

I have the pace edwards type of roll top but I know people who have the retrax type as well. Both seem to freeze up in the compartment in the winter. I'm am having a problem with water leaking into the box with a heavy rain. Anyone having the same problem? How would I prevent this.

I have you seen the electric retractable tonneau cover?

------------------
1999 F150 XLT, 4X4, 5.4L Supercab, Sport, Styleside, White, remote keyless,manual shift 4X4, pwr driver's seat, tinted windows,chrome step bars, chrome grille cover, Ford bedliner,Vent Shade vent visors,Lund bugshield,Pace Edwards Roll-top cover, DEH-P400 Pioneer CD, Boston Rally speakers

Old 03-08-2001, 04:52 PM
jb2001,

I also had a small amount of water leaking in around the canister near the cab. What I did was buy a roll of the gasket material used to seal caps to the bed. Then I removed the canister cover and sealed the areas were the canister covers the rails and reinstalled the canister cover. Now no leaks at the canister. Used the rest to seal around the tailgate. I think the company that makes the Retrax cover also makes something called the tailgate gasket. Check their site for that.
These steps have kept my bed about 99% dry.

Hobbit

------------------
99 XLT,4.6L Auto,4X4,tow pkge,Factory Side Steps and Mudflaps, K&N filter,BugflectorII, Amazon Green/Silver, Pace Edwards Rolltop Cover.

Old 03-08-2001, 09:36 PM
I got the Retrax this past weekend at Line-X of New Hampshire for $900 installed, and I love it. (Tim & Steve at Line-X did a great job too, good folks, & they sell other covers as well for anyone interested.) Works perfectly and looks great, and the parts appear to be of very high quality. Highly recommended. Posted something earlier about wind noise but after driving with it for a week I think this was just a lot of wind on the one trip.

I even emailed Retrax about seeing someone on the board who'd received the Gate Gasket for free, and the guy I spoke with said that had been a show promotion, but they're sending me one for free anyway! This is an outstanding product and clearly a good company to do business with.

-- Jim

[This message has been edited by JimWright (edited 03-08-2001).]

Old 03-25-2001, 08:29 AM
Cool

have a roll-n-lock tonneau and very happy with it so far--no drilling--has cap over lock to prevent freezing--cost 750. installed and so far works great. have only had it a month or so tho. leaks a little at back tailgate(about 30 drops on each side-lol)but then i didn't expect it to be complely waterproof. was told by installer to use 303 protectant spray for top of cover and also track to keep uv damage down and lube track. hope this helps.

------------------
2001 F-150 4X4 Supercab
Arizona Beige clearcoat
XLT 139" WB style side
5.4L V8 4-SPD AUTO O/D
3.55 LIMITED SLIP AXLE
6500# GVWR PACKAGE
17" ALUM WHEELS
OFF ROAD 4X4 EQUIP GROUP
TOW GROUP CLASS III
SLIDING REAR WINDOW
FORD BED LINER