My DIY efans

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 06:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm believing this shroud is mounted behind the radiator and the fans are pulling air from the nose to the engine bay.

I misspoke I think the shroud will block air from going through the radiator, blocking it on the backside.

I think these are all of the right terms.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

Old 11-20-2007, 07:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

hey are you going to mass produce those shrouds. i would likie to have one of them. are you going to put in a divider.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:46 PM
passive holes area a good idea

the FAL kit that I have has two fans that sit along the diagonal not side by side. They cut two retangular openings in the shroud and covered them with a rubber flap on the engine-side of the shroud. During highway speed the flaps open up due to ram air and aid cooling when fans are not powered on.

I would add something like that to your shroud. What you've done is just fantastic. Good luck with it.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by SuperSlabCab
I'm believing this shroud is mounted behind the radiator and the fans are pulling air from the nose to the engine bay.

I misspoke I think the shroud will block air from going through the radiator, blocking it on the backside.

I think these are all of the right terms.

Correct me if I'm wrong?
you are correct this setup might actually run hot

most efan kits that are specifically made for a specific car, with a shroud have holes but the holes are covered with a rubber flap to keep the air only going from front to back so that is wont suck in hot air, and by doing this the fans will work less since going down the road it wount be restricted and can cool just by the air flowing through naturally

im going for my bs in ME right now, but am already a certified welder and machinist, and have raced(and worked on) cars since i was 5

Old 11-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far..

On the divider, yes, I am putting one in. As MGDfan pointed out, without it one fan will suck engine bay air backward through the other rather than through the radiator stack. I'm more concerned with when only one fan is running, but with both running the full blast, the spal might over-power the smaller one without the divider as well.

Any suggestions for what to use for foam on the divider? The divider will be a piece of angle, riveted to the shroud. I'm thinking a piece of pipe insulation foam slit lengthwise and siliconed onto the edge of the divider, and regular weatherstripping around the perimeter of the shroud.

As for upgrading the smaller fan, I really don't think I will need to. Also, it only runs at full power. Since it will be on all the time throughout the summer with the A/C on, I'd rather have it be a smaller one than one drawing 20+ amps.

If I do need to upgrade it, I'll likely get a 2nd spal controller for it as well. Another option is one of the larger DCControl units. I do like these a lot, especially how they handle the A/C input, but they're twice the cost and lead time can be weeks to months. Too much demand for the guy to handle I think.

BTW, I am using one of the DCControl units on my rock-crawler with a cut-up Taurus fan in a custom shroud similar to this. Some details here.

On the shroud blocking the airflow:
I don't think this is a valid concern. There are 2 huge holes in the shroud so there's not a lot of blockage really. For reference, there was a guy on NLOC that did some tests with shrouded fans on the Lightning heat exchanger. He found that the water temp coming out of the exchanger varied only by a degree or two at speed either without the fans, with the shroud/fans running, and with the shroud/fans not running.

The idea of adding reed valves to the shroud sounds good too, but I really don't think they'll be needed. Thanks for the input

--Dan

Last edited by houlster; 11-21-2007 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Yep... You're an engineer.
Software engineer, yes. Like doing mechanical stuff though. Been playing w/ SW for several years for different projects.

IC for my GM 3800 / Lightning supercharged motor:

Old 11-21-2007, 01:58 PM
I know this is getting off topic, but...

Custom hauler:

Old 11-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by ONE04FX4
hey are you going to mass produce those shrouds. i would likie to have one of them. are you going to put in a divider.
Sorry man, no plans. It would be easy for someone with a CNC plasma table and sheet metal brake though. I can provide the drawing of the template for cutting though...

--Dan

Old 11-25-2007, 10:05 PM
Looks good. Keep us updated.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:14 AM
Added the divider. A piece of angle w/ foam rubber attached to it:

Old 11-26-2007, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by houlster
Software engineer, yes. Like doing mechanical stuff though. Been playing w/ SW for several years for different projects.

IC for my GM 3800 / Lightning supercharged motor:

thats one beefy ic

Old 11-26-2007, 12:21 PM
I did get it installed and wired mostly.

I don't have a temp sensor wired into it yet. I didn't realize this before, but my motor doesn't have a coolant temp sensor. Cylinder head temp only. I've found a couple threads mentioning this, but so far, no definitive answer that the Spal controller will work with this.

Another issue is I mis-read the instructions before. I thought just the 2nd fan came on with the A/C, but both fans do, and they both run at full power. That means that throughout the summer the controller won't really be controlling anything. I may as well have just wired it up directly with relays. Still noodling on what to do different. DCControl definitely has an advantage here...

--Dan

Old 11-26-2007, 12:27 PM
They look good. Hope it performs just as good for you. I've had the rods that go through the radiator before. I had nothing but problems and leaks. So I hope there are some new solutions.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:27 PM
Looks awesome...Gotta love 3D design. I used Inventor for my shroud though it's a more simple design....probably not as effective. Been running it for about 2 years now with no problems.

I've been using Inventor for about 3 years now. It's so much better than 2D AutoCAD.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by CDB03STX
Looks awesome...Gotta love 3D design. I used Inventor for my shroud though it's a more simple design....
Nice! What fans / controller did you use?

Quick Reply: My DIY efans