Fabricated Cold Air Box and Ram Air

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2001, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Fabricated Cold Air Box and Ram Air

I fabricated a cold air box and ram air for the K&N FIPK a couple of weeks ago. Turned out to be much more time consuming than I originally envisoned since all of the parts were made one by one - then test fit - and adjusted and trimmed - then test fit again until it fit perfectly. I decided to route the ram air from the drivers side opening on the fender air-dam to the body side-wall, just like the stock air intake. Then from the body side-wall to the cold air box. For now, the cold air box is open on the top, but seales against the bottom of the hood when it is shut. Naturally, one I finished, I had the idea of building a completely sealed enclose for the the K&N FIPK and running the ram air directly to the sealed enclosure. Maybe later. Haven't really noticed any power increases, maybe a little at higher speeds. Otherwise it has been too cool outside to notice any benefits.

------------------
2001 SuperCrew, Silver, 5.4L, 4x4, 3.55, Limited slip, Tow Package, 265x70x17, Sliding Rear Window, Tuff Spray-on Liner, Ravin Z55 Single-in Dual-out Sideswept, K&N FIPK, SuperChip, 1" Thick Sheepskin seat covers (soft as a babys butt), Nerf Bars, PIAA Superwhites, 9006 - 65W Fog Lights
Future mods - Roots Supercharger, Headders, revamped sterio system.

Old 01-21-2001, 05:05 PM
I have a ram air hood also (functional one) its suppose to keep my engine cooler. But I saw a intake kit with chrome that I want to buy but I dont know how to set it up with the ram air hood.

Do you have any suggestions.

Old 01-22-2001, 06:33 PM
Cool

Hi BlackfordF150
Not sure what you have in mind. If you want to do what I think you do, the December 2000 issue of Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords had an article on a fabricated forced ram air induction through the hood nostrils on a Mach-1 type hood. Check it out. Might even be an aftermarket kit for it now.
GDG

------------------
2001 SuperCrew, Silver, 5.4L, 4x4, 3.55, Limited slip, Tow Package, 265x70x17, Sliding Rear Window, Tuff Spray-on Liner, Ravin Z55 Single-in Dual-out Sideswept, K&N FIPK with fabricated cold-air box and ram-air, SuperChip, 1" Thick Sheepskin seat covers (soft as a babys butt), Nerf Bars, PIAA Superwhites, 9006 - 65W Fog Lights
Future mods - Roots Supercharger, JBA Headers (on the way!), revamped sterio system.

Old 01-23-2001, 01:18 AM
Banned
Go dog Go could you somehow send me or post a picture of the K & n ram air? it would be greatly appreciated i belive...thanks

zeke180@yahoo.com

------------------
~K*I*A*L

Old 01-23-2001, 08:06 AM
How about posting those pics here or link them through PhotoPoint DOG. Then everyone could see your mods, please, if possible?

------------------
The GO 4D IT SuperCrew '01 SuperCrew XLT 4x2 (Generation II): 5.4L, Limited Slip, Black, 5-Spoke Rims, Dark Cloth, Capt. Chairs, Power Seat, Steps, Extender, Moonroof, 6-disc manual CD changer; Ford/Duraliner, '86 Mustang rear mats as humpmats, K&N Filter, Ford molded rear mudflaps.

(for sale) The GO 4D IT Ranger: '93 Ranger XLT SuperCab 4x2: 65K miles; 4.0L; Limited Slip; Black; Alum. Rims; A.C.; Power windows, mirrors, and locks; CD Player; Hard Tonneau; Running Boards.

If it weren't for trucks, we wouldn't have tailgates.

Old 01-28-2001, 05:57 PM
Will do. Don't have a digital camera yet since Santa didn't bring it. Will scan photos instead.
GDG

Old 01-29-2001, 04:27 PM
Smile

cant wait to see those pics

------------------
97 F150 Longbed V8 4.6
K&N air filter
K&N FIPK tech MOD & removed elbow silencer
Hyper white xenon bulbs
Bedliner and raven shell
6 disc cd changer