Tie_Down add-ons for Bed

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2000, 01:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tie_Down add-ons for Bed

I just got a new F150 and joined the club. Amongst other things, I will use it a lot to haul two dirt bikes. When looking at the factory installed tabs that are bolted near each lower conner of the bed, I can't help but think someone had manufactured some type of replacement or add-on eye or loop that makes it easy to use a standard tie-down with "S" hooks. Can anyone tell me where I might find such an item?

Old 04-05-2000, 11:31 AM
Talking

2Long4U

I also had the same problem with hauling large cargo. If you look in the "Online Store" you will find some cargo loops that can be installed into your stake bed holes. They are nice because they retract flush wity your side rails when not in use. I believe that they are made by Bull Industries and they can withstand 2000lbs of force.

------------------
1998 RED F250-LD EC 4X4 Lariat, 5.4L, 3.73LS, 4WL ABS,
LOAD LVL SUS, TOWING PKG, SUPER COOLING PKG, 6 CD
CHANGER. GREY LEATHER INTERIOR.

MODS: PACESETTER TFX CAT BACK EXHAUST
AIRAID INTAKE SYSTEM
SUPERCHIP FLIP CHIP
MAG-HYTEC DIFFERENTIAL COVER
NAPA CERAMIC BRAKE PADS
BFG ALL/TA KO LT26575R16
FORD MOLDED MUD GUARDS
DURALINER W/ BULL RING TIE DOWNS
MAX SUPER WHITE HEADLIGHT & FOG BULBS
DASHMAT DASH COVER

FUTURE MODS: JBA HEADERS
STULL BILLET GRILLS
MAGNACHARGER BLOWER

Old 04-05-2000, 02:11 PM
Those are cool, does anyone know if they will work with the factory tonneau? (since I am not currently staring at my truck)...

------------------
2000 F150 Black XLT "Sport", SC, SB, 4.2L, 5 Speed, 3.55LS, factory soft tonneau, keyless entry, factory fog lights
Mods - JVC CD Player w/ Infinity and JBL Speakers, Permatech Spray in Bedliner
Coming Soon - Leveling Kit, Step Bars, Bug Guard, K&N, etc, etc...

Old 04-05-2000, 03:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to an outdoor outfitter, Summitt Hut and bought some rope clamps that just snapped into the existing brackets. One for each corner and now I can add a rope or tie down.

------------------
97 F-150, 2WD, Reg Cab,Flareside,Dk Toreador Red, Windsor 4.6, Magnecor 8.5mm wires, Bosch Plat +4s, 3.55 LS, EGR Bug Deflector, ******* Bed Cover, Bed Liner, XL Full Length Running Boards, Air Aid Kit, Gibson Single Out Cat Back, Superchips, TransGo Shift Kit, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Hellwig 2500# Overload Springs

Old 04-05-2000, 04:32 PM
Talking

You guys have given some great replies. I have seen the retractable loops that are made for the stake holes on top of the bed. But for hauling bikes, I need to strap the tie-down from the handle bars to the lower part of the bed. I'll check out the Summit Hut to see if you have what I'm looking for.

Old 04-05-2000, 04:48 PM
home depot...get 4 clevice's and 4 rings in the chain section...that's what i used ...the clevice's fit through the plastic tee tie downs..

Old 04-05-2000, 05:22 PM
I think the tie downs from a F250 superduty will fit in place of the F150 tie downs. They are a loop or circular design as apposed to a cleat type that the F150's have. This should allow you to use "S" hooks.

------------------
1999 F150 4x4 4.6V8 regcab/shortbed
Oxford White with Wedgewood Blue two tone, with Blue Captains chairs
Bassani Cat Back, Superchip,Modified intake with modified K&N filter.
Centerline Saber rims 17x8" with Firestone GTA 275/60hr-17 tires.

[This message has been edited by Don C (edited 04-05-2000).]

Trending Topics

Old 04-06-2000, 09:03 AM
Vocaire,

I have a 2000 F-150 with the factory tonneau, and I have the retractable BullRings installed in my truck. I had to loosen up the rails to install them, but they went right in and the rails tighten back down fine, without hindering the operation of the Rings.

Doug.

------------------
'99 F-250 Super Duty, 4x4, SC, XLT, 5.4L, 4.10LS, Deep Metallic Blue/Med. Graphite, Superchip.

'00 F-150, 4X4, SC, XLT, 5.4L, 3.55LS, Off-Road, Island Blue/Silver with Dark Graphite Interior.

Old 04-06-2000, 04:31 PM
Thanks Doug, I looked at mine and it looked close, and I just wasn't sure. Now I know that I can do it.

------------------
2000 F150 Black XLT "Sport", SC, SB, 4.2L, 5 Speed, 3.55LS, factory soft tonneau, keyless entry, factory fog lights

Old 04-06-2000, 06:02 PM
2Long4U
The tie downs for the Super duty trucks are not a direct replacement for the F150, at least not on my 1999. The hole patterns are not the same so I'm going to have to drill new holes to be able to use them. I bought a pair to use on my truck for the same reason as you to tie down my bikes. Hooking the tie downs around the front of the cleats works fine on the freeway but is no good when you hit the dirt. I figure its got to be better than those funky cleats that came on the truck stock. I have a Flairside meaning no stake holes to hook into.

[This message has been edited by Jim A (edited 04-06-2000).]

Old 04-06-2000, 09:35 PM
JimA & DonC,

I just came back from my local dealer. They are as puzzled as we are for a solution. They didn't have the F250 on the lot. But I noticed that the SuperCrew F150 as well as some of the Ranglers and F350's had what appears to be the right cleat. Now I also saw that some of the F350's and Ranglers had a vertical mounted "U" shaped tie-down. I tried to measure the bolt pattern, but was likely hoping it would be the same vs. truly knowing. The parts counter couldn't find the info on the item. I'll try agin later. I'm hoping the SuperCrew F150 will have the same bolt pattern. Else, I have to do a Jim states and drill new holes.

[This message has been edited by 2Long4U (edited 04-10-2000).]

Old 04-07-2000, 07:49 AM
2Long4U,
I feel for you. I just hauled my motorcycle to the shop the other day. It used to be easy to tie it down in the Ranger, I thought it would be just as easy. hah, I ended up using the hooks off of bungee cords in the cleats.. why is Ford so STUPID sometimes? I mean, these tie down s-hooks are a very standard size, it's not like we are all trying to use some bootleg non-standard thing. ........ frustrated.....

------------------

Old 04-07-2000, 09:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Worse yet, the Flareside does not have the stake pockets. That is why I added the rope clamps and left them in place.

------------------
97 F-150, 2WD, Reg Cab,Flareside,Dk Toreador Red, Windsor 4.6, Magnecor 8.5mm wires, Bosch Plat +4s, 3.55 LS, EGR Bug Deflector, ******* Bed Cover, Bed Liner, XL Full Length Running Boards, Air Aid Kit, Gibson Single Out Cat Back, Superchips, TransGo Shift Kit, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Hellwig 2500# Overload Springs

Old 04-08-2000, 11:57 PM
Talking

Don C, Jim A, T Ellenberger and Vocaire

Good News!

The cleats I told you I saw in the SuperCrew F150 actually have the same bolt pattern and work as an upgrade to the poorly design original cleat. The parts guy "Dan" at my local Ford dealer was presistent. When I told him that I thought the SuperCrew cleat would fit, he looked it up on the computer. The number he found appeard to be not available in Ford's parts database, typically indicating the part has not yet been made available for distribution. This would be normal at this time for 2001 models. When I showed him it was in many of the 2000 Ranglers and F350s on the lot, he said there must be a problem. He found out that the part number listed was incorrect. These cleats work great for both rope and your standard "S" hook tie-downs. Just unscrew your originals and bolt on the replacement using the same bolts. They are $3.00 each and the part number is YL3Z-9900064-AAA "Hook ASY". I ordered them on Friday and picked them up Saturday morning. If you have any problems finding them, give Dan a call at Chino Hills Ford, CA. He was proud of his research and would get a kick out of someone calling about these cleats.

Old 04-12-2000, 12:09 AM
Thumbs up

Great Homework 2Long4U! Sounds like a great fix. I'll have to look into that myself.

This sure beats making your own from "T" channel as I posted on another recent thread on tie-downs. You sure can't beat it for 3 bucks either! Thanks for the number.

Quick Reply: Tie_Down add-ons for Bed