Topper... To Bolt Or to Clamp ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Topper... To Bolt Or to Clamp ???

I have a 2003 F150 XL with the eight foot bed. I recently had a leer fiberglass topper intslalled. The thing has the swing open side windows and a lip on the edge that covers the plastic bed rail. The topper dealer installed the thing with four clamps on each side.
I have a problem though. The topper is not exactly straight. You can see it bowing on the side windows, and it flexs outward from the bed cap. Thier is a gap- in the mid section where the lip covers the plastic bed cap. If I have the delaer loosen the clamps, and push in on the sides, are the clamps just going to slip? Should I have this thing bolted in so it doesnt flex? I am concerned about the fiberglass cracking.
A friend of mine told me that the bed on the f150s are not exactly straight all the time, and that this is a common issue on these trucks.

I also have one more question. The XL trim comes with cheasy mirrors. Is there any way that I can swap these out for the XLT mirrors or is the a pain in the butt to do ? Are there any larger mirrors out thier that look reasonably good?

Old 07-31-2003, 06:38 PM
Hi PV

Are you sure that topper was for your truck? The way you describe, sounds like a forced fit, if that's possible?

My f.glass (snug top) was secured by clamps. I looked at alot of tops before/even after mine. Most of those are also clamped. Have seen some real old one's bolted on. I dont know what if any difference it makes in way its secured...are clamps better..or just quicker to install? I ended up having to use bolts on mine because of a roof mod. i did...the bolts did not hurt shell.

I 've seen alot..and not one like you describe?

My 99 XL (black) mirrors..i swaped out for the Lucerix X-mount. Larger glass + slider for towing. But $$$. Another similiar but different brand (BESTOP?) was alittle less. Either way..easy to install. Should be same for the XLT one's.

I forgot exactly...seems i had to remove some trim to get at the bolts, i'm guessing same on yours?

Good luck...OT

btw...didnt you see that before you left shop? or did this bowing orrur later? Go back to dealer. Also contact Leer direct if need be.

Old 08-02-2003, 01:11 AM
The topper is a Leer topper designed for the f150. It has skirts that extend over the side of the bed to cover the plastic bed rails. The topper is spread out a little on the sides, and has a small gap between the side of the truck and the topper. If I push in on the sides, and clamp it down really tight I think the clamps would just slip. I was wondering if it might be better to bolt it down.
I dont think there is much I am going to be able to do about this though, and I suppose I will probably just leave it. It is not all that noticeable anyways. Otherwise, I like the topper, it is the one must have item on any pickup I own.

I looked for a picture of the lucerix mirrors on the web, and I have not been able to find one. I may see If I can just find a set of XLT mirrors off of a wrecked pickup. I think this may be hard to do though, as pickups are not easy to find in a junkyard.

Old 08-04-2003, 02:23 PM
Hi PV

Maybe you can straighten it enough that you could hold in place w/1/4" bolt/fender washers and lock nuts. I dont think it will hurt to do that way. Try two holes on each side...then see?

Click on www.lucerix.com 1-800-295-3703

Good luck...OT

Quick Reply: Topper... To Bolt Or to Clamp ???