Northeast CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VT, WV

Help Needed in Harrisburg PA

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 07:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Needed in Harrisburg PA

I just purchased a 2008 F-150 Screw "Limited" from a used lot in Ephrata PA. It is real nice. Only thing is, I do not have the factory code for the key pad entry. Went to a dealership in Harrisburg and they want $45 and an hour to tell me the code. I have read posts that the codes are on the unit behind the rear seat back. The dealer tells me that Ford stopped doing this in 2008 and that the only way to get the code is to use a reader plugged into the PCM??? port.

So anyone in Harrisburg have a code reader that can help me out? I will even pay you for your effort. It just won't be $45.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:16 AM
U should be able to get this code yourself, i believe the 5 digit code is on the VSM (vehicle security module) which is located behind your back seat, bolted to the back of the cab on the drivers side.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Thanks. Searching for good DIY articles for removing the rear seat back. I found one for older models, but my 2008 is different.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:26 AM
im 90% sure the code is on there, its worth a try, let me know how it goes

Old 01-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Getting the selling dealer to provide you with the code should have been a requirement before you signed on the dotted line. Now if you can't find it, your at the dealers mercy.
Unfortunatly your not the first person I have heard and know of, who didn't think to require the code ( and keys, remote fobs, manuals ) as part of the purchase agreement. Hopefully it is in located behind the seat as suggested but I have my doubts. I have had friends / ford mechanics tell me that the only way to get the code is via the vehicles computer. Which means it needs to go to a dealer and get plugged in. Hopefully I and they are wrong. After locking your keys in the truck one time the $45 fee for the code will look like small money well spent.
Good Luck.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try lb smith ford

Old 01-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by camopaint0707
try lb smith ford
Hoffman wanted the $45. I will try LB Smith. I work in Camp Hill. My only concern is the parts guys at LB Smith told me Ford never made a production Limited modal...that it was an aftermarket add-on. They were nice enough to print me 12 pages of the build sheet that details everything on the truck. Funny how they couldn't explain the "Limited Package" on the build sheet.

I did not buy the truck from a Ford dealer and I asked for the code. I have all the manuals, the original window sticker, the build sheet, the radio PIN, and even the first owners name and address. But no key pad code.

I sent the original owner a letter asking this question, as well as some others. We will have to see if he calls me.

Thanks for the feedback all.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Found this article on removing the back seat so I gave it go.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...08-my-way.html

Long and behold, there was the code printed on the unit. Only took fifteen minutes to save $45. What do the dealers know anyhow.

Thanks to all that helped.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:39 PM
glad to hear it worked out man! thats a lil secret the dealers don't want the owners to know about lol

Quick Reply: Help Needed in Harrisburg PA