F150online REVIEW: Nifty Catch-All Mats with Photos (w/comparison to Husky Liners)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
F150online REVIEW: Nifty Catch-All Mats with Photos (w/comparison to Husky Liners)

October 2010 - Review of Nifty Catch-It Interior Floor Mats (front only) by Lund

As we all know, there are lots of products out there that are available for our trucks from a floor covering perspective. Recently I was given an opportunity to review a set of Nifty Catch-It mats (both carpeted and uncarpeted). As a guy who has had a set of Husky Liners in his trucks since the purchase of his first F-150 in 2001, I must say, I was a skeptic as to how the Catch-It would look in comparison to the Husky Liners. Let's face it, I've had a set now for nearly 10 years in my truck (a 2001 and my current 2005) and I obviously like them quite a bit.

While I have not yet, as of the publishing of this review, had an adequately nasty day (wet, rainy, etc) to fully assess the mats, I can tell you that I'm VERY confident that they will perform as good (if not better) than the Husky Liners that I've used for years.

The first thing that I noticed, out of the box, about the Nifty Catch-It(uncarpeted) mat was that it was thicker than the Husky Liner. While the Husky is a nice mat and has nice fitment, the Catch-It takes it to a new level. I would like to point out the coverage from the threshold on to the mat with the Catch-It; this was a feature that I wish I had from the beginning with my current truck. The reason is simple - the Husky Liner had done a GREAT job over the years at protecting my interior with the exception of the small strip of carpeting between the Husky and the threshold. This area was noticeably dirty versus beneath the mat. Catch-it definitely takes the win for coverage, in my opinion.

Color matching on the uncarpeted Catch-It was very good. While it wasn't exact; nor is the Husky. Both the Husky and Catch-It uncarpeted version look great in the floor board. Unfortunately though, I was disappointed by the color matching offered by the carpeted variety. While I realize there are oodles of interior color combinations across the plethora of vehicles that are available out there and it likely makes the most sense for a company to get as close as they can, across the board, and go with that color for use on all their mats (which is what I think Nifty has done), it was disappointing to see the darker color on my lighter interior. This is nit-picky but, for those of us that are overly ****-retentive about their trucks, I feel confident that it's something that you will also likely notice.

Durability is something that I can't yet assess but, feel confident that all of the mats will prove their worth. While floor coverings for our vehicles aren't cheap, I think that the amount of money spent on this type of an item is more than worth it; especially for folks who like to keep a clean interior. Cleaning any variety of the Catch-It is a breeze - just pop it out of the truck and spray it off with a hose. This cleaning method is the same for the carpeted Catch-It!

I previously mentioned fitment -- this is something that is very important to me because I like a very 'clean' look. No problem with the Nifty mats! In fact, I didn't realize how my Husky's fit until I saw the Nifty version. The Nifty, in my opinion, offered a much nicer fit that, in turn, provided more complete coverage.

Backseat coverage for the Nifty mat is unknown. I did not evaluate a set of rear mats for my Supercrew. This was very disappointing as I know this is an area that many folks like to know about from a coverage standpoint; me included. I haul a bunch of stuff in my backseat floorboard that require some level of coverage to keep from messing up my interior carpet. I currently have a set of Husky Liners for the rear seats of my Supercrew and the coverage is great. Again, I can't compare the Nifty mats to this because I don't have a set for the rear seats.

All in all, Nifty came to the table with a strong product. I'm disappointed to know that I actually went with the Husky over the Catch-It many moons ago when both were available. In my unpaid and honest opinion, the Catch-It mat system stands atop the floor covering world for our F-150s. While the lack of color matching carpet was blaring and obvious, it wasn't so bad that I couldn't get over it.

On a scale of 1 to 100, the Catch-It (uncarpeted) are a solid 95. Fitment and overall coverage is superior to that of Husky.

On a scale of 1 to 100, the Catch-It (carpeted) is a solid 90. Color of the carpet is what costs this version an extra 5 points. I wasn't a huge fan of the billboard of a stitched logo on the mat but, some may like that feature. The coverage is IDENTICAL to that of the uncarpeted version but, the carpet color was something that left me a tad disappointed.

The Husky liner, compared to the Nifty Catch-It (made by Lund), is a 84 compared to the 95 and 90 scores from the Nifty mats. Reasoning is due to thickness of the plastic, tearing at the mat hook (my second set that has done this), and overall coverage compared to that of the Nifty.

Mark it down - Nifty delivers a great mat and great coverage!

Here are some photos:

All Three Mats - Catch-It Carpeted (back), Catch-It (left), Husky (right)

Catch-It Carpeted

Catch-It Uncarpeted

Husky Liner (5-Years Old)

Husky Liner Tear at Mat Holder Hook (happened within 1st year of ownership)

THE WINNER!

Nifty Catch-It!

About this comparison:

Truck: 2005 F-150 King Ranch SuperCrew
Mats Compared: Nifty Catch-It (by Lund) & Husky Liner
Age of Mats: Nifty (new) Husky Liner (5 years old)

Again, this review is honest and forthcoming. If the product was lousy, I assure you that I would have said just that - it's lousy. If you have questions or additional comments, I'd welcome them. Feel free to post here or email me at rockpick@f150online.com. Thanks for your time and for reading my review.

Keep in mind that Nifty was running a special for members of f150online.com!

Nifty Catch-It Mats

Last edited by Rockpick; 10-25-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Great review, RP!

I don't care for the dark carpet color at all and the "billboard" logo is a real turnoff. But the uncarpeted mats look and fit great, don't they?

- Jack

Old 10-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It will be a long time before I buy another Niffty Catchall Product.I agree, the new redesigned mats look great. What burns me is up untill a few months ago, they were still trying to sell the 04--08 front and rear mats, as direct replacements for the 09-- 10 models. The rear mat especially, in the 04-08 it had a preformed hump in the middle of the mat it was not a proper fit for the 09 model.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Great review, RP!

I don't care for the dark carpet color at all and the "billboard" logo is a real turnoff. But the uncarpeted mats look and fit great, don't they?

- Jack
They're nice mats - especially the uncarpeted ones.

One thing I hadn't noticed earlier is that a few of my pics are VERY lousy. Sorry about that... rest assured that none of the mats have a red hue to them. HA!

Old 10-26-2010, 06:23 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Where the catch it's cover over the plastic threshold is huge. One of the biggest annoyances I find with most mats is they don't do that. Good write up Brad

Old 10-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Moderator &

Thanks!!!

Old 10-26-2010, 10:10 PM
I have an 03 super crew, in searching for the Nifty catch-it mats, all of the suppliers that I found mention all of the other truck configurations, but not the super crew. Will the ones that are sold for the extended cab fit the S crew exactly? Thanks, Tracka96

Old 10-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Bought Catch it over weathertech (nicer price) and I love them. Clean up super easy too.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:44 PM
I am looking at the "rubber" Nifty Catch-It for my truck also. Does anyone have any pics of the rear for a super cab or even a super crew? I am assuming it's a liner and not two small mats, but I want to make sure. I was leaning towards the weather tech, but I am affraid of the water from melting snow on my boots just running along the door sill and into the carpet along the sill. I like how the catch-it have the lip there to hold it on the mat....

Old 10-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by tracka96
I have an 03 super crew, in searching for the Nifty catch-it mats, all of the suppliers that I found mention all of the other truck configurations, but not the super crew. Will the ones that are sold for the extended cab fit the S crew exactly? Thanks, Tracka96
I'm nearly certain that there is a Supercrew-specific configuration. Please give Lund's customer service center a buzz for more info --

http://www.lundinternational.com/customer-care/

-RP-

Old 11-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Global Moderator &

Another Review of The Nifty Floor Mats

I just installed a front pair of the Nifty floor mats that Rockpick reviewed to start this thread. Bottom line - I'll be ordering a matching rear mat very soon. I doubt there's any way I can improve on Rockpick's excellent review, but I'll try.

The driver's side is shown here:

As you can see, it virtually covers the entire floor and has raised edges everywhere except for the floor sill, so water/mud will tend to "run out".

One of the things I was worried about when I received them is that there is no way to secure the mat on the floor "anchor" that comes up through a grommet in the OEM mats. The small circular raised area in the bottom left part of the mat is sitting above that anchor. I needn't have worried. The mat fits so tightly (and perfectly) into the floor pan that it simply cannot move!

As Rockpick noted, the color match is not perfect, but it's not too bad. Lund is clearly using a "generic" beige/tan color here to blend with all the vehicle models they make mats for. We cannot expect them to create both "custom fitting" and "custom colored" mats in my opinion. Since I don't spend much time looking at the floor while I drive, I doubt it will bother me.

The next picture is the passenger side:

Sorry for the sunlight and shadow, but you can see how again, it FILLS the floor pan beautifully, and anything "wet" will tend to drain out over the door sill. This mat will NOT move around either!

The third picture is a comparison showing the coverage of the Lund Nifty floor mat compared to the OEM (King Ranch) mat that is sitting on top of it - in the exact position it would be if installed:

Except for the King Ranch logo, I cannot see much to recommend the OEM mat. The OEM mat leaves a huge amount of the carpet uncovered. In fact, I immediately replaced that mat with a larger aftermarket mat from Goodyear when I bought the truck for this very reason.

It's clear to me that whenever I decide it's time to clean out the interior, I'll just lift out the Nifty mats with all their accumulated crud and wash them outside. I doubt there'll be much need to vacuum the carpet at all.

My suggestion to Lund is: they should get a salesperson on Ford's case and become the supplier of OEM mats for Ford's vehicles. (Actually, they should be offering their product to ALL vehicle manufacturers.) Lund's product is obviously superior to the OEM mats. AND, if they established this supply line, they'd probably have the output quantity to be able to color match each vehicle perfectly.

Great product, Lund! I'm about to order the matching rear mat.

- Jack

Old 11-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Global Moderator &

The Rear Mat

I promised a review of the rear mat when it arrived. I just received it and I'm a bit disappointed.

First, here's a picture of how the mat covers the floor pan from the passenger side:

As you can see, the coverage in the seating area, including over the center hump is very good and it will give much better protection than the 2-piece Goodyear set I used to have in there. Also, the mat will not move around at all, in fact, I had to move the front seats completely forward to have enough room to install it. There is NO front to back or side to side play in the fitment!

So, what don't I like? This - the right edge:

I really thought the mats would extend over the sill like they do in front, but nope. The left edge, of course, is identical - no sill coverage. However, you can see the raised edge will trap any liquid on the mat itself and not let it run down on the carpet.

So, the mat will do a good job protecting the carpet, but it could have been much better with edge coverage.

Finally, I'm puzzled with this problem:

The heads of the four red arrows point to the bottom of the seat rail that rides in the track on the floorboard. I'm almost six feet tall and Janet is about 5' 8". We ride with the seats near the rear of their travel. The trouble is, the seat rail catches the raised lip of the mat as the seat moves back.

I think the front edge of the mat should have been shortened so that it would not contact the seat rail, even when the seat is in the rearmost position. Either that, or, lower the lip at that point so that it would not contact the seat rail.

As it is, moving the seat back without holding the mat down causes the mat to curl as the rail catches it. I may trim the mat at the contact points if it becomes too much of a problem.

The color, by the way, matches the front mats - somewhat different than the carpet, which is not a big deal to me.

So, I'll keep the mat in the truck, but this was NOT a "home run" by Lund. They could have done better with the fitment and coverage. I'll rate it 7 out of 10.

- Jack

Old 11-14-2010, 10:22 AM
how do we get the special price?

Old 11-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by EAkrish
how do we get the special price?
That may have been a limited time offer. I'm pretty sure I paid the regular price for mine.

But, you could PM Rockpick about it. He may have better information.

- Jack

Old 12-27-2010, 01:51 PM
I just got the non-carpted front mats. They are really nice, especially compared to the stock mats. Definitely worth the $!!!

Quick Reply: F150online REVIEW: Nifty Catch-All Mats with Photos (w/comparison to Husky Liners)