News: Taurus SHO Returns with 365 HP Ecoboost V-6

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 05extcabflare
Everybody is buying mustangs because of speed. I think the family sedan (ford taurus SHO) going to take the mustang in 1/4 mile track. Now is everyone going start buying taurus instead?
As a guy who would love to have a Mustang GT but has a family and thus, it's not even a remote possibility -- yeah. I'd definitely consider the SHO! I bet that thing is an absolute BLAST to drive!!

Old 02-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everybody is buying mustangs because of speed. I think the family sedan (ford taurus SHO) going to take the mustang in 1/4 mile track. Now is everyone going start buying taurus instead?
Actually, that's not even close to true. Something like 60-70% of all Mustang sales are V6 models. It's a status/image/icon type of thing to MOST buyers- not a speed thing.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

And to think, I used to want a Mustang GT, lol. This is a must-have!

...I still want a Mustang GT...

Old 02-14-2009, 09:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That's pretty freaking rad.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:52 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Quintin
That's pretty freaking rad.
I wonder how often you'll see them in a bay... Ford cars really have a nice high bar...

Old 02-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Ford had a niche with the Taurus. It was aimed at a person/family looking for reliable family transportation. Which is why every grand parent in the US either owned a Buick Century (in that faded blue color... LoL) or a Ford Taurus (usually in that tan/silver color).... It did wonderfully with the middle aged and older market. People bought the car because it was a Taurus.

As Ford changed the name during the remake of the car, people did not relate the old Taurus to the new Ford 500, even though Ford thought that bringing back a classic name would hit well with the older crowd. Instead, people looking for general reliable transportation changes to the Accord or Camry.

In my opinion, ever car company needs a Vanilla car. Something basic, fairly bland and unchanged that the masses will enjoy.

But to do a "Hot Rod" version is almost a doubel edged sword. No would be Mustang GT owner, but with kids, is going to by a car, esentially the same looking and named as a car their grand parents drive.. No matter how good or fast it is.. Which is why the SHO was so "unopular".. It was an awsome car. But it was to bland.

In my eyes, Ford needs to bring back the Taurus, but is a decent French Vanilla flavor.

THEN, make the SHO a seperate named vehicle with some decent body work. Seperate it from the "Masses Vehicle"....

Ford had the same issue with the Probe. The name was unnappealing to woman..

I think the problem is that in this market, auto makers need to weigh the costs desiging a car vs. how many will sell. And in my eyes, mid-30's priced is to high in this market. NO matter how great of a car... They might get a little more Bang-for-the-Buck if they renamed it under the Lincoln name as a Mark series, like the Mark 7 and Mark 8 was....... But they were coupes.......

Last edited by Xterrable; 02-15-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
I picked up a brochure from the dealer last week. The 2010 Taurus is really, really nice. I always liked the 500 (except the headlights), and when they rebadged it as the Taurus, I vomited in my mouth a little. The same name destroyed the Freestyle (Taurus X) and drove it in the dirt. Although that wasn't one of my favorite cars, the Name "Taurus" reminds me of the 1989 wagon I had as a company car. I loved the car (a wagon? how stupid is that?), but the name is about as dumb as it gets. I rank Taurus up there with Lemur, Platypuss, Gopher, Centaur, Jackalope, and Koala.

I am about done with trading trucks every year with the company because of the mileage I drive. I am done with the payload issues and tongue weight issues I relive each year with the ever-changing truck designs, but there just isn't a car for "man" nowadays that I can realistically tap into for a company car. So, I am thinking about getting a really nice truck this spring (something equipped exactly like I'd order to keep for years to drag my travel trailer/future fiver), and drive it for a year or so and then buy outright from the company for a "used rate" (I'd know who drove it and didn't abuse it) and put it in my barn for the weekend. Then, I'd go get a car to drive every day and drive the ever-living snot out of it. The 2010 Taurus could be that car. I really wanted a Magnum or a Charger as I assume I'm going through a mid-life, but I think it's more related to never having a car with some beef. I'd love a nice Mustang or Challenger, but a two-door for a company car isn't gonna get it. I'd still have issues with a car on the construction site, too, but hey... I did that for years before I had a company truck. Can I call a King Ranch a company truck?

Anyway (talk about diahrea of the mouth Smokewagun), good job Ford! I hope this is a car that shows American car manufacturers can compete with the Japanese manufacturers. After seeing the brochure, I'm interested, but I'm still a major truck buff. Just last night I rolled all four of the windows down (25 degrees) just to hear and smell the fumes from the straight-piped 2003 6.0L sitting ahead of me at the stoplight. I am really sick.
Gotcha bro: ain't nothing like the smell of diesel in the morning (especially)

The Taurus is a fantastic automobile,,I've owned 3 myself...My 90 mdl, would burn the tires off, my man....I smoked a Chevy long bed...and man that guy was mad especially with my wife pointing and laughing at him!! I love the Taurus and I'm glad there bringing back the SHO!!

Old 02-19-2009, 12:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Xterrable
In my opinion, ever car company needs a Vanilla car. Something basic, fairly bland and unchanged that the masses will enjoy.
I gotta agree with most of your post.
Ford did hit home with the first taurus's they were built bland for the "we gotta have a family car" crowd and they ran forever.... and were comfy...
They then had that formula perfected with the crown vic/ merc grand marqui/ lincoln towncar and did away with it. There are a ton of people looking for that full size big body platform car with a large v8 and room. Ford overcame its competitors when chevy finally did away with the caprice... and ford was on top! police cruisers included... then they decided to can it... why? it was a successful market that was monopolized by ford!

To this day, when a white crown vic pulls up behind you there is a little feeling of terror and a surprise gasp thinking your screwed... It was a perfect vehicle for a perfect job!
Now we have a mixture of stuff out there... chargers thinking they can fit in... some tahoes that couldnt keep up if they tried and some expys just for the fat cops that dont want to ride in a car lol ( sorry leos, there has been a big influx of heftier cops now-a-days that has me questioning some of the physical aspects of the job)

Originally Posted by Xterrable

But to do a "Hot Rod" version is almost a doubel edged sword. No would be Mustang GT owner, but with kids, is going to by a car, esentially the same looking and named as a car their grand parents drive.. No matter how good or fast it is.. Which is why the SHO was so "unopular".. It was an awsome car. But it was to bland.
THEN, make the SHO a seperate named vehicle with some decent body work. Seperate it from the "Masses Vehicle"....
Thats almost contradictory there.

I do agree the "sleepers" were mid 60s early 70s cars and there is really no place for them today.
Take the murauder for example. How many of those sat on the lot for months? why buy a grand maurqis that is 10+ grand more and less milage?
there really wasnt a realistic buyer for that car....

I think if ford wants the SHO to hit home, they need to take a little page out of toyota and honda, and make its base models slightly more high end with a little more high end creature comforts and great power plants....
Then make the SHO more of a flagship for that segment ( think 300c or srt ) instead of just a small niche car. Make it a "why not pay 2-4 grand more and get all this really neat stuff and power/milage" car instead of the "why pay THAT much more for a taurus" car.
Sure it may cheapen the name a bit... but those strategies have kept sales and status on the pony car going for over 45 years now.

Last edited by Fabian06SC; 02-19-2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Seems like bad timing to me. I mean who's going to afford a car that has a base price of
Almost 40 grand when everyone is losing their jobs? Looks like a nice car,just not very practical
In these times.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's old is new again. - Og

Old 02-23-2009, 02:03 PM
Aside from the decent gas mileage with those hp numbers.. I can't see much that would draw in very many buyers at that price.. IMO, there are many other vehicles on the market already with better styling.. the exterior is boring and the interior colors on the SHO leave little to be desired with the two-tone brown/black.. the SHO is almost touching $40k..

You could pick up a Pontiac G8 GT or Charger RT for less, and have extremely similar performance and economy. And if fuel economy wasn't that important you could even opt for the 400+hp G8 GXP or better yet, a Dodge Charger SRT8 for nearly the same price as the SHO..

Personally I favor the SRT8.. but that's just me.. IMO, there doesn't seem to be anything revolutionary about the new Taurus..

Old 02-25-2009, 08:13 PM
No offense...but the day the Taurus beats a GT500 in the qtr. mile is the day I eat my hat The Taurus news is nice to hear for sure, but 365 hp in a heavy 4 door sedan (and I'm betting Ford tunes the ECU VERY conservatively - like the rest of their products) is going to be quick but not really fast...most "special output" cars are in the 400hp + range out of the box. Good for Ford for bringing this car out though...definitly going in the right direction

Old 03-04-2009, 03:11 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
They then had that formula perfected with the crown vic/ merc grand marqui/ lincoln towncar and did away with it. There are a ton of people looking for that full size big body platform car with a large v8 and room. Ford overcame its competitors when chevy finally did away with the caprice... and ford was on top! police cruisers included... then they decided to can it... why? it was a successful market that was monopolized by ford!
Perfect for me. I want something bigger than a Taurus, w/ front bench seats for 6 passenger seating, a big motor, and power to the rear wheels.

Whatever happened to full sized sedans? As nice as the new Taurus is, I still want something bigger than a Camry.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Test drove a Lincoln MK S yesterday. Which is on the same platform as what the new Taurus will be. They are both built at the Chitown plant. Was impressed with interior space and gadgets.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:56 PM
That family of rear wheel drive cars are still built at the St.Thomse, Ont. plant. Crown Vics for taxi and emergency use, Grand Marquis for sale in Florida only (well maybe not, just seems that way) 2009 last year for Town Car general comsumers sales. 2010 Town Car for livery, and limo stretches only. Remember that platform is better that 20 years old.

Quick Reply: News: Taurus SHO Returns with 365 HP Ecoboost V-6