Clarion NZ501 camera power

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clarion NZ501 camera power

I'm adding a rear backup cam to my head unit (clarion nz501). The camera comes with 2 rca ends, the yellow lead (male) hooks to my video in on my head unit, the red one (female) is the power and I don't know how to hook this up. There doesn't seem to be a rca power plug on my NZ501 thats marked camera power.
Any ideas?

Old 05-04-2012, 10:25 AM
I hooked a camera to my NX501 (tailgate emblem camera) - and jumped the power for the camera from the towing plug.

I used the + wire thats live when the headlights are on - so I can select the back-up camera anytime from the head unit (as long as the headlights are on, of course - but mine are always on), rather than just when you put the truck in reverse.

You can also jump the power from the reverse light wire (near the reverse light itself), but then the camera is only getting power when the truck is in reverse.

I'm not familiar with the NZ501 - but with the NX, to get the unit to switch automatically to the reverse camera when the truck is put into reverse, you'll also need to hook up the reverse light wire from the head unit itself (purple/white if I remember correctly) to the corresponding wire in the door sill - but you probably already knew this.

So you have a few options - but you'll need to cut the female plug off and jump camera power from somewhere.

I'm only on my second cup of coffee - so if any of this is unclear, just let me know and I'll try to clarify - ha ha!

Old 05-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Well the thing that was throwing me off was the RCA end on the camera power. I finally decided to cut the damn thing off, hooked it to my reverse light and it worked. The reverse gear wire from the head unit I hooked up to the reverse light wire that runs under the door sill. So now when I put it in reverse it automatically turns on. I really don't need it to be on all the time although if there was ever a naked (female) jogger tailgating me it would come in handy!

Old 05-13-2012, 09:04 PM
Nice one - glad it worked out!

Old 06-28-2012, 04:17 PM
The NZ501 and NX501 are the same deck just on is a single din with a 7" screen the other is a double din with a 6.2" screen. Both have a feature that if you camera is hooked to a constant 12+ then you can swipe till you see the camera button on the main screen and when pressed will display the camera when ever you like.

seen here.Name:  inter.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  52.1 KB

Quick Reply: Clarion NZ501 camera power