Add 09 backup camera and emblem to 04-08

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjp5467
I was just looking at the back of my emblem and there doesnt seem to be a place to put the double sided tape. The back is "hollow", where did you put it??

I actually replaced the double tape on the tailgate. I recovered the whole emblem area so when I attached the emblem what ever touched stuck. But I also put a bead of the RTV gasket sealent around the inner gray oval and I do believe thats the best way to go. Its STUK!

Old 07-13-2009, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by Hawgdriver
I am wanting to get one of these bad johnies. Can someone please explain pros and cons of the "emblem" ('09) version versus the "in the tailgate handle" version (older models)?
Thanks
I didn't have the handle camera. I think it looks a LOT better in the emblem. The handle camera kinda looks odd too me. Maybe the fact that the emblem camera is smaller and stealthier.

The only con would be installing the beast

Old 07-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Looks great... thanks for the clearer pics!!!

Old 07-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a pretty cool idea... Does that higher view point interfere with trailer attachment?

Old 07-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Quick question...I am assuming this is a Ford 2009 complete camera and emblem part?

If so, why did you have to make the hole bigger? I would think the camera would be sized correctly for the emblem to begin with...??

Also, could you share the cost of the emblem and camera and perhaps the part number to help me in ordering the correct part?

Thanks!

[QUOTE=thenewbreed;3798075]Once that is all done I had to make the hole for the camera a little bit bigger at the bottom to make the camera barrell fit.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Austin FX4
If so, why did you have to make the hole bigger? I would think the camera would be sized correctly for the emblem to begin with...??

I think what he was talking about was having to put a hole in his tailgate to make the 09 setup work on his 06.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by jdruzik
That's a pretty cool idea... Does that higher view point interfere with trailer attachment?

I dont tow anythung but too me it looks like it would help attachment.

[QUOTE=Austin FX4;3812269]Quick question...I am assuming this is a Ford 2009 complete camera and emblem part?

Also, could you share the cost of the emblem and camera and perhaps the part number to help me in ordering the correct part?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by thenewbreed
Once that is all done I had to make the hole for the camera a little bit bigger at the bottom to make the camera barrell fit.

Yea I put an 09 assembly in my 06. The 04-08 reverse camera originally came in the tailgate handle. The camera assembly for the 09 sticks out the back of the emblem about an inch so there is no way the emble will sit flush. The 09 has a hole cut in the tailgate originally from the factory. So I had to cut a hole.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Did you solder the camera wires yet to clean up the picture? How is the camera at night?

Old 08-12-2009, 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by aweazel
Did you solder the camera wires yet to clean up the picture? How is the camera at night?
Ididnt solder. I need to though. The picture is decent but solder would be better. Its not night vision. But if there is any light behind me I can see decent.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:30 PM
some more questions

I have a 2009 F150 with the backup camera already installed. What I didn't do was get the truck with the expensive, sony navigation system. So I have to view the backup camera through the review mirror. As you can imagine the picture is somewhat small. Has anyone installed an after market radio/navigation system that can take advantage of the back up camera already being installed ? Also, would the wiring from the camera already be installed to the dash, in the radio area or would it have only been ran to the rear view mirror ?

Thanks

Jim

Old 03-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks awesome! Very creative.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by jrospopo
I have a 2009 F150 with the backup camera already installed. What I didn't do was get the truck with the expensive, sony navigation system. So I have to view the backup camera through the review mirror. As you can imagine the picture is somewhat small. Has anyone installed an after market radio/navigation system that can take advantage of the back up camera already being installed ? Also, would the wiring from the camera already be installed to the dash, in the radio area or would it have only been ran to the rear view mirror ?

Thanks

Jim
It can be done thats what i did in this how to. The wiring probably is not there. What you will probably have to do is cut the adapter off at the rear view mirror end and splice on a video rca to connect to your indash system and repower the camera through the battery. If you end up doing this I would be interested in you mirror and adapter setup.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:00 PM
What's the part number for the camera/emblem?

Old 04-16-2010, 07:13 PM
I have a 08 F150 extended cab. Anybody know what side of the cab the wires come down from the roof harness?
Left or right side and front or rear of cab? Camera is installed, Display mirror is installed, Getting ready to run the wires. With a little luck this will work.
I have a new camera with emblem that I don't need if anybody is interested. Make Offer.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:33 AM
I have been wanting to do this since my Pioneer HU will take the camera input. I would also like to know what the P/N is and what the cost is or did you get it from a wreck??
Nice writeup by the way!

Quick Reply: Add 09 backup camera and emblem to 04-08