Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA

Tidewater VA

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, what's going on? I like it out around Smithfield, good looking scenery.

Old 08-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Anyone modded their trucks lately? I just installed some Troyer Performance E-fans yesterday. Kinda PITA, but overall it wasn't too bad.

Old 08-29-2005, 01:58 AM

Did you notice any difference with the new fans?

And yea, I recently put on some Bushwacker Extend a Fender, fender flares, the look pretty nice and give me extra coverage for my wide tires. Although I wish bushwacker made the "pocket style" for my truck, they look awsome.

O and a bumper sticker (well, I put it on my rear window so, a rear window sticker, I wouldnt put anything on my nice shiny bumper), the sticker says "My German Shepard (with a pic of one) is smarter than YOUR honor roll student".

Old 08-29-2005, 03:36 PM
Yeah I have noticed a difference. It's not a fire breathing monster, but you can tell that there's a difference. PITA to install, but that wasn't all due to the kit, I was having 'one of those' days. Only gripe is that I had to extend 1 wire that I wasn't expecting to (the green wire from the high temp controller) but I'll explain that when I do a writeup. It's intimidating at first, but it's all pretty simple and straight forward, the directions/instructions are pretty good. My biggest problem was that the trans lines into the radiator were in the way for one of the mounts. It was a biatch trying to unscrew that one, but it's mostly my fault. I'll let you know if and how the fuel economy changes if at all. Oh yeah, I bought some stickers too, a Mossy Oak Ducks and a deer (European Mount). Need a midsized DU duck head for the middle back in white.

Old 09-02-2005, 10:14 PM
Initial findings from the fans are good. In city my mileage is up from an average of 14.2 mpg to 16 on the nose. I'll let you know how it goes in time.

Old 09-05-2005, 10:23 PM

hmmmm, 2mpg increase, that sounds inviting, how much did it cost you for the new e-fans?

Old 09-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Right about 400 federal reserve notes delivered. That was my initial increase in mpg in the city over 4 days of driving to work and normal stuff. Even with punching it a little. You can tell the difference in the seat of your pants, but it's nothing great. I drove home to MD about 180 miles each way and averaged 17.9mpg @ 73 mph constant speed most of the way! Normally I got 17 mpg on the mighway so there was a slight increase there too. I'd likely see a slightly higher mpg if I cruised at 65mph....seems to be about right for the truck. I like the fans and recommend them. I could have done it a little cheaper, but for doing it the first time I highly suggest that you just buy the kit and have almost everything right there. Like I said somewhere, my only gripe was not having enough wire for one green wire to reach to the fuse box, otherwise everything you will need is right there in the kit. Can't ask for much more than that!

Old 09-07-2005, 03:13 AM

If you could or think about it, let me know the mpg you keep getting so we'll see if you keep getting that 2mpg increase, then i might buy me one! (if its not any trouble and you actually keep track of that, I know I do it helps to find any engine problems.)

its gotta outweigh the 400 smackaroos. (lets see, 2mpg, 50 miles per tank, roughly a savings of 11 dollars a tank and some more hp) and with my lighter truck but larger tires and lift I could use that.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by PONY_DRIVER
Anyone modded their trucks lately? I just installed some Troyer Performance E-fans yesterday. Kinda PITA, but overall it wasn't too bad.
EXCUSE MY IGNORANCE, what kind of fans are these? electric cooling fans?

Old 09-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by SUMRX4
EXCUSE MY IGNORANCE, what kind of fans are these? electric cooling fans?

Yes sir. They replace the heavy azzed factory clutch activated fan. You get a few more HP freed up from the engine and a little better gas mileage to boot. Not too many mods will do that!

Ruffinit,

Have some numbers for ya. I drove to MD this past weekend with a totat distance of ~180 door to door. Not counting the driving around that I did there and almost 80 miles on I-64, 20 on I-295, 20 on I-95, then 207 to 301 then to backroads. I averaged 17.9 mpg on the interstate at a constant 73mph! I was getting about 17 at 65-70 so I imagine that if I slowed down a little it would improve slightly. I think the truck does best around 65mph and starts to drop off after that. Still at 1mpg better on the highway it's saving me a gallon and a half of gas per tank at a minimum. I'll keep track of it further though, I usually keep tabs on it anyhow.

Old 09-09-2005, 01:41 AM

Sounds good. Going to have to look around for pricing and who carries them. Who did you order from? Also I thought you had a newer model f-150, not an 01. Maybe I'm just losing is??? keep an eye out for the mpg in the city, thats where im dieing to see some increase in!

Old 09-09-2005, 02:23 PM
I ordered it from Mike Troyer who advertises here as Superchips Distributer or something like that (His company is Troyer Performance.) You can piece together a kit for cheaper but it's worth the money IMO to just buy his kit for your first go round. After that you can venture out on your own. Just be sure to have one piece of wire handy to splice into the fuze box from the Driver's side fan controler if you mount them both on the passenger side of the core support. It's a project to do, but it was satisfying to get it all done and have it work!

Old 09-14-2005, 10:30 PM
Need to fill up and check it again.

Old 09-15-2005, 04:28 PM
Hey Pony, how's it going? How long did it take you to put them in? Any tips I should know before I decide to try and tackle this myself? Thanks man.

Randall

Old 09-19-2005, 10:59 AM
It's going well I suppose. Last tank that I checked I got 12.5mpg...I think I screwed the pooch on my trip odometer or something went wrong with my ride. LOL Going to fill up on the way home and then off to KY and IL from Norfolk. Ought to get some good data from that, least I hope I do. I have a theory about oil chage interval and relation to gas mileage. But I digress.

All in all it took me 12 hours to install start to finish, BUT fret not. I was watching my boys when I started. I went out and took a few things off, battery, battery tray, washer fluid reservoir etc, then went inside and waited for my wife to get home. Then my biggest problem was securing one of the fans mostly to the radiator and THEN trying to wiggle a pad back between the fan and radiator with the trans lines in the way......argh what fun. It's a bit daunting at first, but it's pretty easy to install IMO. If possible I recommend a coolant flush when you do it and just take the radiator out of the truck to mount the fans. That would be the easiest way to do it. If that's not possible you can still get-r-dun, it just trquires a little more finesse and patience....I don't posess much of either. LOL

Edit: Depending on when and where you do it I may be able to help you out if you need or want it.

Quick Reply: Tidewater VA