Lincoln Blackwood & Mark LT

chipped blackwood

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 06:18 PM
Really Old "Member"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ready&Ready:

Glad to hear there is a longer window to try out stuff.
As a point of curiosity, Superchips has a chip for the computer code I sent them which I gather is the same code as a Gator.
Realizing that the vehicles are rather different in a lot of ways, I don't know if that chip would truly be effective in a Wood but they say it will work.

Regarding the traction control issue, I recall a ton of posts on the Lightning forum in 1999 and 2000 regarding people complaining that their Lightnings would not even squeak the tires without power braking. Mine was the same up till about 5K miles and then all was well. Seems these 5.4 motors are real tight. Once I put in the Superchip in mine, I had to be careful not to spin the tires on moderate throttle openings.

At 7K miles, my wood will not spin the tires on a no brake full throttle application either with the TC on or off. With it off and on the brakes, it will do a little chirpie thingie but nothing like the L.

Having said all of that, I am firmly convinced that a mild chip/open air filter and a decent (no headers etc.) exhaust should get you/us way down in the 15s and maybe in the high/mid 14s. That 32 valve motor is a puller in the mid to high rpm range and I think if we can let it breathe better it will surprise us.

Please keep all of us updated on your experiences. Due to business pressures (and money issues ) I will not be doing anything until after Christmas so will be watching the rest of you play.
Bill

Old 11-04-2002, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well we havent had the opertunity to get back out and track test but i'm going to try and get it back in and do some street driving. i know its not going to respond like the L's would but we will see if and how it will effect shifting and overall drivability. as far as the pcm being the same i dont know? our code is JQF1. and we haven't really had time or the money to play w/ filterand other engine mods and now looks like we had to remodel the bathroom as the shower wall practically fell in on katy today and the drywall is soaked and rotted

Quick Reply: chipped blackwood