Lincoln Blackwood & Mark LT

Performance Chip

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Chip

Is there a preferred manufacturer of a performance chip for the Blackwood? Does anybody have information on getting one? Price? Or does anybody have one for sale?

Old 10-01-2003, 11:37 AM
I've tried out the Diablo program a couple times but always seem to pull the chip for one reason or another (usually because my hubby runs out of chips & needs one to sell before his next shipment comes in). As far as I know they still only have 1 program for the Woods since I really haven't been able to test it out thuroughly to request changes to it. I did run my 16.16 with it in. I plan to put it back in for the weekend (out at the track on Sat) & see how long I can keep it in before it gets taken away again. Maybe I'll even see a new best since its supposed to be in the 50s.

Old 10-01-2003, 12:15 PM
Thanks! I've heard of the Diablo chips before. How much does it cost? Is it easy to install? Have you put your wood on the Dyno with the chip in?

I'd like to get the best of both worlds by increasing HP & Torque and also mileage. It may be too much too ask for.

Old 10-01-2003, 02:43 PM
It was dynoed with the chip in it (as well as a modified JLP ram-air kit) however I have to wait till I get home to tell you the numbers. It seemed pretty easy to install. My hubby installed it but I made him show me how to do it in case I needed to pull it out while I was out by myself.

I don't want to discuss pricing online (since I'm not a supporting vendor) but you can email me (candlekaty@comcast.net) & I can give you more details about that end of it (my hubby burns his own chips).

Edit: I think bill is running a different brand chip. Last I heard he was happy with his set-up.

Old 10-01-2003, 08:10 PM
Really Old "Member"
One thing I have learned!!!

Hi folks:

I have learned never to recommend a chip or other mod as it can get into a real food fight.

In my case, I have modded a '99 Lightning since sold and my 02 Blackwood which is one of the more satisfactory vehicles I have driven in the last 10 years or so.

For the moment, I am running a Superchips flip chip which I believe is actually programmed for the Navigator version of the engine/tranny combination we have. I am not sure of this, so please don't take my word for it. My induction system is an AirForceOne which is basically a tube running off the original intake into a conical open filter. I also have a locally made up exhaust which is basically running off the original pipe into a muffler which has dual outlets (single muffler) and then I have two pipes going out to two dual tips equally spaced under the bumper.

The chip I have has a "street mode" which is basically set up to run on normal 91/92 octane gas and a "better mode" which is set up to take advantage of 93 or more octane gas which is very hard to come by in metro Atlanta.

Even though I can get 93+ octane, I have found that this particular chip is more than enough for me on the softer setting. Bear in mind that the 32 valve motor takes a bit of time to come up on the cams and you don't build a lot of power below around 3000 rpms.

The chip that I have, along with the filter and exhaust allows me to enjoy some pretty impressive seat of the pants take offs and it is a real pleasure to hear a chirp from the tires in the 1/2 shift on the street program.

As the vehicle is rather expensive, I rarely, if ever, use the high performance side of the chip because the shifts are absolutely rock hard and I don't know if they add to the sort of performance profile.

In the final analysis, there are not going to be very many standard chip profiles for a truck that only had a production run of some 3,200 units. You will have to go with a Navigator program or spend the bucks to get a custom burn which may not be a bad idea in my opinion.

Bill

Old 10-02-2003, 08:24 AM
rdy2rac can you email me at:

igetmyemails@yahoo.com

Thank you.

Old 10-02-2003, 09:31 AM
I got your email last night. Sorry I didn't get back with you yet but my daughter came home after spending half the week with her grandparents (in KY). I promise I'll respond tonight.

Trending Topics

Old 10-02-2003, 09:54 AM
Bill,

Thank you for the advice and comments!

I've been very pleased with my wood and plan on keeping it for a very long time. You bring up a good point in that our engine is the same set-up as the Navigator. It sounds like you've done the right mods to sqeeze out more performance from this excellent engine. I'll definately keep im mind all the things you've said as I go forward with my mods.

Old 10-02-2003, 05:46 PM
Really Old "Member"
vman:

I think you will find this a very friendly and helpful bunch of Blackwood owners, if a bit scarce on the ground.

Katy and Rob have perhaps the best way to go for a custom chip insofar as they own a Blackwood (well Katy does) and Rob has experience in the field. Got to cut the commercial here

While I only frequent 3 boards that have Blackwood owners on them and may have missed something, I have not seen many owners/drivers who have been looking to improve the performance. Lots of practical add-ons and a few appearance items but little all out performance stuff. For instance, I had earlier posted that I added deflectors on all four door windows and the sunroof and purchased a stainless steel grille and chin "cover". Jim in Texas installed the Harley exhaust and runningboard steps or whatever you call it.

One of the trucking magazines did an article about a year ago on a Paxton supercharged Blackwood. Can't find it now but you can do a search on here for my report. I think it cut a couple of seconds off the 1/4 but as I recall the whole package cost about $8k which is too rich for my blood for two seconds.

I believe it was on this board that a fellow somewhere down here (Alabama I think) installed an Eaton blower as a one off custom job for a customer. Never did tell us how it worked out as I remember.

To close for today, I would urge you to consider at least some sort of intake system mod. If nothing else, the sound is worth the $2-300 you would spend. Not like a Lightning with an open intake but very impressive nonetheless especially from about 3,000 to 5,000 revs.

Bill

Old 10-03-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Bill Murray
While I only frequent 3 boards that have Blackwood owners on them and may have missed something, I have not seen many owners/drivers who have been looking to improve the performance.
You know I've only heard of 1 other person who has touched their engine & that would be you. I only go for performance mods first because they're cheaper. Otherwise I would have started with new wheels & rims, then exhaust.

BTW, vman you have mail.

Old 10-03-2003, 11:05 AM
Bill,

The Blackwood owners are really cool and I'm very happy to have found this site. I know that I'm not going to be able to spend too much money on the performance upgrades. My BOSS a.k.a wife unit, will put a spending cap on me very soon. I think that I can justify to her the performance chip and air filter but beyond that I don't know. The intake thing sounds like it might be something I could squeeze in also.

Here is a like to my friends web site, he has done alot of mods to his Mustang and is constantly getting it Dyno'd. I talked with him this morning and he showed me the dyno'd results with a Diablo chip in and out of his stang.

http://www.allenmorrison.net

Thanks Bill and Katy!

rdy2rac, thanks for the email, I have sent a response back.

Old 10-03-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by vman71
rdy2rac, thanks for the email, I have sent a response back.
Just so you know, I won't be home until tomorrow night to look at it.

Old 10-03-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Bill Murray
vman:

One of the trucking magazines did an article about a year ago on a Paxton supercharged Blackwood. Can't find it now but you can do a search on here for my report. I think it cut a couple of seconds off the 1/4 but as I recall the whole package cost about $8k which is too rich for my blood for two seconds.

Bill
Here's the link to the Paxton Supercharged Blackwood Bill was talking about.
Paxton SC Blackwood

Quick Reply: Performance Chip