Old 11-06-2002, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Doug.

Old 11-06-2002, 06:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
looks major good

btw thanks doug

dr. d, can you do one of the file types i mentioned

do you like the tag line better in the darker blue, or do you think it should match the hat,

i don't know about "color coordination stuff" lol

is it better to keep colors together or should they be different?

Old 11-06-2002, 06:38 PM
Colors are up to you. The eps file is 3 mb. who is doing what with this image?? There are some options with saving as an eps and I'm not sure if I got 'em right. Can they use the .psd or jpg? It is 300ppi.

How do I get it to you??

Old 11-06-2002, 06:51 PM
when i spoke to him earlier he said eps file, i thought that was an extension type,

he said not .jpg, or .bmp or .tif

is there a site you can host it on temporarily and then i can download it?

i don't know if it'll go through email

Old 11-06-2002, 06:59 PM
he said it should be a file type that the sizes can be changed and it doesn't affect the resolution

Old 11-06-2002, 07:25 PM
Sent the animated gif and 2 emails because I wasn't sure the first went thru. Large file.

Old 11-06-2002, 08:31 PM
Dr. D - did you make the logo in a vector drawing program like Freehand, Illustrator, or CorelDraw? You can save an EPS formatted image from almost any program, and the deceiving part is that it can store both RASTER and VECTOR information (which makes it so versatile). But if you made those logos in Photoshop (raster program), I'm afraid it probably won't satisfy Beefcake's printer. 300dpi is pretty good though, and should definitely serve for proofing. But I'll bet the printer will come back and ask for an EPS file created by one of the above-mentioned vector programs. Only then will it be truly scalable to any size without losing quality.

I'm not sure which application you used to produce the logo concepts - so all of this may be old news to you and you can ignore me.

If you don't have access to a vector program, or the patience to recreate it in a different program, the printer should happily accept a file with 600+ dpi resolution. You'd still have to redraw some stuff (you already seem aware that up-sizing the existing image won't improve quality), but it would be easier than doing it again in Illustrator, for example. 1200 dpi would be ideal, but hey - you're doing this for free right? Good work, BTW!

Last edited by BMWBig6; 11-06-2002 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:35 PM
PS 6 has an .eps option for saving. Is that not the same? If I had known higher res was needed I could've done that. I do have Illustrator but don't have as much exper. with that prog. I can figure it out and the net is loaded with tutorials. But Thanks. Please give input. I'm pretty decent with PS but I'm no expert.

Old 11-06-2002, 09:58 PM
Dr.D,

The .EPS format available from Photoshop is the *right* format, but Photoshop is saving the *wrong* data in it. It will save raster data. Illustrator saves vector data. The confusing part is that EPS doesn't care, because it was inteded to carry vector text, raster photographs, anything you throw at it. Think of it like this. Your gas tank is made to accept any fluid, but your L only runs on gasoline and Beefcake's printer needs gasoline.

I don't like Illustrator that much, so if it were my choice, I would just redo as little possible in Photoshop. Hopefully you're just using layer filters and can just substitute larger objects without too much trouble. 600 dpi would be the minimum starting point, but to accurately reach that, you'll need to know how large Beefcake wants to output the logo (4 x 3 inches, etc.). In that regard, re-doing it in Illustrator is the wiser choice, as you may have to re-scale the logo in the future. Up to you - I know you're pefectly capable of producing great results with either option.

Old 11-06-2002, 10:05 PM
i'm looking to do small logo's on say my site,

large logo's for my truck

extra large logo's for my trailer, ect...

Old 11-06-2002, 10:07 PM
Then having a single vector file will end up saving a lot of time in the long run. Learn from my mistakes... I've been down the road many times and wished I had made the wiser choice earlier.

Old 11-06-2002, 10:08 PM
Well, the image made available to us was a pixelated GIF file. That's all he has. I did do this in photoshop but what I did was scale it up to 300 and traced out everything in a new layer. Not knowing where we were going with this, I assumed it would be used as web graphics. So I made a 300ppi jpg about sheet paper size-2.5 meg for the .eps. If I had known initially which way to go with it from the start I would have taken a different approach. I default to web because that's what I'taking in college right now. So everything is for the web.

Old 11-06-2002, 10:11 PM
Dr.D - I know how you feel. I assumed the same.

Old 11-06-2002, 10:17 PM
lmao,

so, where do i go from here?

Old 11-07-2002, 04:40 AM
So you will be using this graphic for print, yes? What size print? does that even matter-BMWBig6? I haven't dealt with professional printers. So to quote a famous racing truck driver-where do we go from here?

Last edited by DR.D; 11-07-2002 at 04:46 AM.

Quick Reply: any good photoshop guys