Lightning

identity theft

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
identity theft

Man these people really got me good. Today I get home from work and there is a message sayign I tried to purchase an internet Domain name over the internet. WHAT!!!! They had everything, my name including middle initital, address, phone number. If I knew who it was! I called my card company and I have over $600 in charges since the 29th of August. I was also charged $10 on my checking account through this.

I have a feeling someone at PayPal has accessed my account and was using it for there pleasure. Paypal is the only place where I have both my credit card info and bank account info. Needless to say I just cancelde my Paypal account.

Point is no matter how secure it is, there is always someone that will see your CC and address at these types of sites.

Old 09-03-2002, 05:56 PM
Location: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
call all the companies you have accounts with and give em a head's up, close accounts, and issue new cards.

wouldn't hurt to research the appropriate law enforcement office(s) also...

that sucks!

Old 09-03-2002, 06:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got "robbed" 3 times electronicly myself. And now-a-days I either use a cashiers check or cash.

It's a pain doing it this way, but I don't get robbed either.

Old 09-03-2002, 06:12 PM
Thank you for this post!

Someone has also stolen nearly $300.00 from me by gaining access to my credit card number. By the purchases, it was someone from out of state. The only online use this card gets is on Pay Pal. I hadn't even considered them as the culprit until I read this. I wonder if someone has managed to break thier security or if someone there has developed "light fingers". It may just be a coincidence; but, I will let my credit card company know to look there as part of the investigation of my disputed purchases. The good news is, CITIBANK caught the strange purchase right away and notified me within an hour of the third out of habit purchase in three days. I had the card killed and another issued right away. They saved me some headache.

I'd like to get my hands on the person responsible for this. A child molesters short life in prison, would seem like Club Med in comparison to what I'd put them through! I HATE THIEVES!!!!!

Old 09-03-2002, 06:30 PM
Just an FYI, identity theft occurs in stores, resteraunts and those sorts of places far far more than they do online. There are no safeguards in place when you hand the guy your card in a resteraunt..but there are a lot of electronic safeguards in place when you order something online.

Not to say the electronic/internet theft doesn't happen....but it is far less prevelant than mose think.

Old 09-03-2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by 95 Saleen S351
Just an FYI, identity theft occurs in stores, resteraunts and those sorts of places far far more than they do online. There are no safeguards in place when you hand the guy your card in a resteraunt..but there are a lot of electronic safeguards in place when you order something online.

Not to say the electronic/internet theft doesn't happen....but it is far less prevelant than mose think.
True. Doesn't mean it's not worth looking into though. Besides, far fewer purchases are made via the internet than in the other examples you provided. Another thing, also...... Not many people have the ***** to steal from someone, with them looking them in the eye. The chances of getting caught are much greater that way.

Old 09-03-2002, 07:29 PM
I really do think it is a Paypal thing. I only use on card for online transactions, and this one was it. It just seems too suspicious that they had the exact information as my PayPal account.

It is a type of identity theft since they had my mailing address and exact name and expiration date. The person that called me was form British Columbia reguarding the purchase of a domain name. Also the email address they used was admiin@yahoo.com with 2 I's. One of the things that appeared on my credit card were from spalshmobile.com for $2.

Old 09-03-2002, 07:40 PM
Two bus fares, from different states, and tickets for Busch Gardens.

Quick Reply: identity theft