Lightning

Silverado SS vs Lightning post

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silverado SS vs Lightning post

Here's a post on LS1.com about what it would take for a Silverado SS to run with a Lightning.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=120962

Old 07-03-2002, 12:36 PM
Old 07-03-2002, 02:47 PM
They should compare the SS with the HD not the L.

Old 07-03-2002, 03:10 PM
I hate plastic black engine covering parts like the pic of that engine bay of the SS,,, blech,, so happy when i look in my engine and see my freaking huge engine with its blower, i'd hate to have it all covered with plastic.

~Toast

Old 07-03-2002, 03:29 PM
Some great quotes from that link............

Don't expect to see the SS play with the Ford SVT F-150 Lightning or upcoming Dodge Ram SRT-10 out of the box. It's not going to happen without some aftermarket help.

Using a naturally aspirated V8, GM has taken the middle ground between those two performance extremes. The Lightning relies on a supercharger to provide plenty of power to its smaller displacement 5.4-liter V8 while Dodge takes the brute force approach and throws cubic inches at the problem with its 8.3-liter (506-ci) V10, culled straight from the Viper sports car.

Where the 454SS and Lightning used to tie each other 0 to 60, the Lightning now hits that mark in 5.8 seconds. The Silverado SS probably won't come close to that. The C3 could hit 60 in 7.3 seconds and we expect the SS to come in right around that same time. Dodge is claiming 5.0 second 0 to 60 times in early performance figures for the SRT-10 but we'll have to wait until the product hits the streets before that can be put to the test.
--Joe

Old 07-03-2002, 03:30 PM
Some more...........

Second Opinion: A Truck that Rocks, Rolls and Hauls
By: Tom Keefe

If you were waiting for Chevrolet to come up with a Ford SVT F-150 Lightning fighter you might be a little disappointed with the new Chevrolet SS, due early next year as 2003 model. After all, on paper the Chevrolet SS is missing so much of what the Lightning has.

Ford Lightning Wins:
1. Super Charger with 8 PSI of Boost
2. Horse Power 380 @ 4750 RPM
3. Torque 450 Pound Feet
4. Pure unadulterated speed under 14 seconds ¼ mile and 140+ MPH top speed
5. Unmistakable SVT Lightning looks

What more could anyone want than what the SVT Lightning offers?

If you go shopping for a killer truck like the Ford Lightning, you have to make a few compromises. Now don't start shooting at me you Ford guys. I seriously considered the Lightning even though I needed room for 4 people. The deciding factor for me was towing capacity. With 5000 pound towing capacity and 800 pound payload (2002 specs) the Lightning is just barely a pickup. I needed more capacity as well as performance.

I was ready to go buy a ¾ ton something and then buy a sports car to drive when I wanted have some fun. Nevertheless, I am a truck kind of guy. Then I heard about the new Chevrolet SS. I thought Chevy would follow Ford and build a regular cab. If they built a bigger cab like a Crew or Extended Cab, then they would just hang a bunch of cladding on the side and call it an SS.

The 2003 Chevrolet SS is a truck that reminds me of the days gone by and I look forward to many enjoyable weekends making this SS my SS. I don't want to give my age away but I remember going to the dealer and buying a vehicle that needed all my attention to finally become mine. In addition, that's my definition of fun when you can find a vehicle that when you walk away you stop turn around look at your pride and joy and say that is mine.

Well call me any name you want but I love this truck. When I was afforded the opportunity to see Chevrolets newest SS… all I can say is I like the Extended Cab though I would have preferred a Crew Cab I am happy with the shorter Extended Cab 143.5 inch wheelbase. In my opinion, the Chevrolet extended has the most useable back seat. I would not sacrifice bed length for a Crew Cab as I need the extra bed length and with SS's 7500 pound towing capacity and a 1400 payload capacity, who knows a new Fifth Wheel trailer could replace the boat or better yet get a slip for the boat near a campground.

Moreover, if I want pure speed I can buy some of that for my New SS for a lot less than buying a different truck to tow my trailer and one to drive for pleasure while not towing. I admit that I want both in the same truck. Now thanks to the good folks at Chevrolet I can have both trucks in one.

1. More cab space. Like a 2+2 sports car, I have to carry 4 people and granted two of them don't need a bunch of room but they do need seat belts.
2. I need to tow a 7000-pound trailer.
3. At least 1400-pounds of payload
4. I like to go skiing and drive up in the mountains when the roads are not cleared.
5. I do like to drive off road on some of the fire roads no pavement.
6. Sporty Styling

Shopping List

1. Super Charger now I need to do some research on this maybe you all could help me figure out which one is the best.
2. I like the wheels but I could use some ideas on different wheels
3. I need to change the exhaust system better fuel economy you know hehehe
4. Should I get XM radio for those long trips
5. Fifth wheel trailer that will work with a 6.5 foot bed
6. Does anyone know about a SS boat?
7. Custom paint job

I like this new SS from Chevrolet. I wish it was here already.
--Joe

Quick Reply: Silverado SS vs Lightning post